Electrostatic seperator questions

In summary, the conversation is about building an electrostatic separator for plant material. One material responds more to positive charges and the other has a negative charge. The plan is to run a 220v cord to a junction box and then have three connections - one for each motor and one for the rectifier. The negative electrode will be grounded to the steel frame and the positive electrode will have a diameter of 12 inches and a depth of 12 inches. The user has questions about the rectifier, the use of aluminum for electrodes, and the safety of the project. The conversation ends with a warning about the potential dangers of the project and the need for professional assistance.
connor67
howdy, i am building an electrostatic seperator for plant material. the two materials i am trying to separate have a negative charge but one responds a lot more to positve charges so i feel there will still be sufficient seperation. i have the general plan for it done, i just had a few questions in regard to the rectifier, and if anybody had any input with the other aspects it would also be greatly apreciated. So now let me get into the plan. i attached a diagram to give you all an idea of what i am talking about. i plan on running a 220v cord to a junction box. from there i will have three connections, one to each motor and then one to the rectifier. then from the rectifier it will run to the positive electrode. attached to the motors will be the electrodes, the negative charge rotating clockwise and the positive rotating counter-clockwise. each electrode is going to be made of aluminum. the negative having a diameter of 6 inches and the positive a diameter of 12 inches. each also will have a depth of 12 inches. i feel this is the max size to go with still keeping a sufficient charge on the positive electrode. then the negative will be grounded to the steel frame. so to my questions, i was thinking of using a 35a 400v bridge rectifier and was wondering if that would be the appropriate one. also would it be fine to run just a positive from the junction box to the rectifier then the the electrode without a ground on that side? the only ground for the electrodes would be the one on the negative charge side. if i do need one between the rectifier and positive electrode, what would be the best way of placing it there? also do you all feel aluminum would be the best material to use for the electrodes? any help would be much appreciated.

ElStatDia1.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a very dangerous project for an inexperienced amateur to try to take on. There are numerous fire and shock hazards in what you are trying to do. Please find a local EE to help you do this project safely. You and s/he will need to build this system so it could be approved by a safety agency like UL (even if you do not actually submit it to UL). If you don't, and somebody gets hurt or it catches fire and causes property damage, you will be the one held responsible.

Thread is closed as a dangerous discussion, which is not allowed at the PF.

Likes CalcNerd

What is an electrostatic separator and how does it work?

An electrostatic separator is a machine that uses the principle of electric charge to separate different substances. It works by creating an electric field that attracts positively and negatively charged particles, causing them to separate based on their charge.

What are the applications of electrostatic separators?

Electrostatic separators are commonly used in industries such as mining, recycling, and manufacturing to separate different types of materials, including minerals, plastics, and metals.

What are the benefits of using electrostatic separators?

Electrostatic separators offer several advantages over traditional methods of separation, including high efficiency, low operating costs, and the ability to separate even very small particles.

What are the potential hazards associated with electrostatic separators?

One potential hazard of using electrostatic separators is the risk of electric shock, so proper safety measures must be taken when operating the machine. There is also a risk of fire or explosion if flammable materials are being separated.

What factors affect the efficiency of an electrostatic separator?

The efficiency of an electrostatic separator can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the particles being separated, the electric field strength, and the composition of the materials being separated.