Electrostatics and reference frame

In summary, 1) An observer sees a uniform magnetic field and a uniform electric field. These fields are constant over time.2) The transformation of the electric and magnetic fields is always consistent with the transformation of the sources (current density and charge density).3) In the observer's frame, the electric field is uniform and constant over time.
Heimdall
Hi,

I'm stuck with a question concerning electric fields : Can an electrostatic potential drop exist in (what I would call) a 0 dimensional system ?

Let's imagine we are in a region of space where there is nothing but a uniform magnetic field. So the problem is anisotropic but does not depend on the position. We then decide to move in a certain direction (not aligned to the magnetic field).

When we have reached a constant velocity, say V, we see, in our reference frame, a magnetic field B', almost identical to B, and an electric field which has a value given my the lorentz transformation E'=-VxB.

V and B being uniform and constant over time, E is uniform and also constant in our reference frame.

I wondered what was the "source" of the electric field seen in the moving frame. As it is a constant, it cannot be a induction field. It therefore has to be an electrostatic field. Ok but then were is the source ?

I was stuck for a while with this question when I realized that I forgot the current density consistent with the static magnetic field in initial frame. In the moving frame, a part of this current density *must* be seen as a charge density that would thus be consistent with the electrostatic field.

Ok but then, if there's an electrostatic field, where is the potential drop ? My problem does not depend on any variable, the magnetic field is uniform in all space(*), saying this must be somehow the same as saying that the gradient of the electrostatic potential is zero ? But I see an electric field... This electric field can be very strong (depends on B and V) but we continue to ignore variations (derivatives) ... this looks like a paradox to me.

(*) maybe the solution lies in the assumption of uniformity ? I mean assuming the magnetic field is completely uniform must be somehow wrong, but don't exactly see what's going on...

Thanks for your help !

Heim.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I see that nobody seems inspired by my post. I'll try to sum it up by a few concise questions.

1/ An observer, defining a reference frame R, sees a uniform magnetic field B and a uniform electric field E. Both B and E are constant over time. Can he conclude that the electric field is electrostatic ? (meaning that there is a charge separation somewhere in the universe that would be consistent with this electric field).

I would say yes, because from this observer's point of view, there is no time variation of the magnetic field and no change of flux through any surface...

2/ Can I say that the transformation of the electric and magnetic fields when I change my reference frame is always the "consequence" (or consistent with) of the transformation of the sources (current density and charge density) ?

3/ In the observer's frame, the electric field is uniform and constant over time. Can he write [tex]\mathbf{E}=-\nabla\left(V\right)[/tex], where V would be the electric potential ? if so, how could there be a potential gradient in a world where nothing depends on the location ?

Thanks for helping me with these question :-)

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest, or in other words, the behavior of stationary electric charges. It deals with the forces and fields created by these charges and how they interact with each other and with other objects.

2. What is a reference frame in electrostatics?

A reference frame in electrostatics is a coordinate system used to describe the position and movement of charged particles. It can be any fixed point or object, and is necessary for measuring and understanding electric fields and forces.

3. How does electrostatics differ from electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with stationary electric charges, while electrodynamics deals with moving electric charges. Electrodynamics also takes into account the effects of magnetic fields, which are not present in electrostatics.

4. What is the importance of Coulomb's law in electrostatics?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is crucial for understanding and calculating the behavior of electric charges.

5. How does the choice of reference frame affect the behavior of electric charges?

The choice of reference frame does not affect the behavior of electric charges. However, it can affect our perception and measurements of the electric fields and forces. It is important to choose an appropriate reference frame to accurately describe and analyze the behavior of charged particles.