1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics: Charge distribution and Dirac's delta, lots of questions

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

The problem was to give the charge distribution of a uniformly charged disk of radius R centered at the origin and perpendicular to the z-axis.
    The professor explained us how to do so (though many parts were unclear to me and I couldn't copy everything that was on the blackboard because we were too much students and I couldn't see the bottom part of the blackboard).
    For a punctual charge, the general form of the charge distribution is [tex]\rho (\vec x) = q \delta (x) \delta (y) \delta (z)[/tex].
    For a charged plane: [tex]\rho (\vec x) = q \delta (z)[/tex] and for a charged line: [tex]\rho (x,y,z)=q \delta (x) \delta (y)[/tex].

However for a finite (in extension) plane perpendicular to the z-axis, [tex]\rho (\vec x) = f(x,y)\delta (z)[/tex]. The professor told us that the Dirac's delta "reduces" the dimension (though I don't understand why/how. If you have any comment on his, this would be nice). That's why for a point-like charge we need 3 of these deltas, 1 for a plane and 2 for a line.
    The purpose of the function f in the above example is to make the final value coincide with what it should be; that's what I understood.
    Using cylindrical coordinates [tex](\rho, z, \phi)[/tex], for the uniformly charged disk of radius R we have that [tex]\rho (\vec x)=\delta (z) \theta (\rho -R) f(\rho)[/tex] where [tex]\theta (\rho - R) = 1[/tex] for [tex]\rho \leq R[/tex] and 0 for [tex]\rho \geq R[/tex]. Thus the theta function is a constraint that delimit the disk of radius R.
    Then I don't really know what the professor has done, some integration I believe and he reached a final result I couldn't copy.
    In spherical coordinates [tex](r, \theta, \phi )[/tex] and for the same problem, he reached that [tex]\rho (\vec x) =\frac{Q}{\pi R^2 r} \delta (\theta - \frac{\pi}{2}) \hat \theta (r-R)[/tex] which looks different from the result he reached in cylindrical coordinates but it must be the same.
    If I understand well the final result, it has no sense to ask for the charge distribution in a particular point in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. However it makes sense to ask for the charge distribution in any surface element; though I don't know how to proceed. I think I should do an integration or so, but I'm not sure and an example would be welcome.
    So the final answer to the question is a function that is ill defined because for example in the origin it is not defined nor at the boundaries although there are charges there.
    And if I'm not wrong, if I do integrate the final answer over an area (or volume?!) A, then I should get [tex]\sigma _0 A[/tex] ? Namely the amount of charges enclosed into this small area? Is this right?
    Why is the function "ill defined" as I call it? Is it because we DO NOT assume charges like points but like a property of a non zero space extension?

If I have the problem "What is the charge distribution of a uniformly charged cube?", I'd rather answer [tex]\rho _0[/tex] for [tex]-a \leq x \leq a[/tex], [tex]-a \leq y \leq a[/tex], [tex]-a \leq y \leq a[/tex]. 0 everywhere else.
    My answer wouldn't be ill defined and I could give you the charge distribution in any particular point in space, unlike the method used in more complicated problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

A disk is a cylinder whose height has been "flattened". So, if you can come up with the expression for a cube, then you can probably come up with the expression for a cylinder. Then, simply take the part of the expression of the cylinder that sets the height, and replace it with the delta function.

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks for this insight.
    I use cylindrical coordinates (I can't remember the variables so I take [tex](\rho , \theta , z)[/tex] ).
    [tex]0\leq \rho \leq a[/tex] , [tex]0 \leq \theta \leq 2 \pi[/tex] , [tex]0\leq z \leq b[/tex] for a cylinder. I replace z by [tex]\delta (z-z_0)[/tex] and I get a disk perpendicular to the z-axis which crosses it at [tex]z=z_0[/tex] and with radius [tex]a[/tex].
    Is this good? How would you personally write it? I feel my description of the cylinder is kind of "the ugly way".

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Well, your description is fine, but if you want to make it prettier then you can define a couple of useful functions.

1) The unit step function:
    [tex]u(x)=\int_{-\infty}^x{\delta(X)dX}[/tex]

2) The boxcar function:
    [tex]B_{a,b}(x)=u(x-a)-u(x-b)[/tex]

Then your charge distribution becomes
    [tex]\frac{Q}{A}B_{0,a}(\rho) B_{0,2\pi}(\theta)\delta(z-z_0)[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook