Element 114 = Flerovium; Element 116 = Livermorium

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary, two new elements have been named and officially added to the periodic table - flerovium and livermorium. These names honor the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions in Dubna, Russia and the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California, respectively. The chemical symbols for these elements are Fl and Lv. This news has been confirmed by multiple sources and has caused some to update their periodic tables. However, some have raised concerns about the appropriateness of the name livermorium.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
NEW YORK (AP) — Nearly a year after they joined the periodic table, two man-made elements have been officially named.

What used to be element 114 is now flerovium, honoring the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions in Dubna, Russia, where it was created. Element 116 is now livermorium, for the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., home of a scientific team that participated in its creation in Dubna. The chemical symbols are Fl and Lv.

. . .
http://news.yahoo.com/livermorium-flerovium-join-periodic-table-names-213303266.html

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-livermorium-flerovium-periodic-table-elements.html

http://www.webelements.com/flerovium/, Fl

http://www.webelements.com/livermorium/, Lv

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Aw, geez! Now I have to update all my periodic tables!

I had seen a couple of tables which had these listed over a few months ago, but its good to have them official now! :)

chemisttree said:
Aw, geez! Now I have to update all my periodic tables!
At least you don't have to update all the flasks containing Lv and Fl compounds 8]. If those things actually existed for more than a few nanoseconds, it would be such a hassle with the confusion potential between Fl and F(lourine)I(odine)...

Good to see 2 new official members admitted to the periodic table club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Livermorium

I don't think this name is appropriate. If you held an ounce of it, you'd actually Livelessium.

There were only 92 of which the news had come to Harvard,
And there may be many others - now some have been discarvard. :blushing:

Related to Element 114 = Flerovium; Element 116 = Livermorium

1. What are the atomic numbers and symbols for elements 114 and 116?

Element 114 has an atomic number of 114 and a symbol of Fl. Element 116 has an atomic number of 116 and a symbol of Lv.

2. Who discovered elements 114 and 116?

Element 114, Flerovium, was discovered by a team of scientists at the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna, Russia in 1999. Element 116, Livermorium, was discovered by a team of scientists at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, USA in 2000.

3. What are the properties of elements 114 and 116?

Flerovium is a synthetic, radioactive element that is highly unstable and is only found in trace amounts in nature. It is a member of the group 14 elements and is expected to have similar properties to lead and tin. Livermorium is also a synthetic, radioactive element with very little known about its properties due to its short half-life. It is believed to be a member of the group 16 elements and may have similar properties to polonium and tellurium.

4. How were elements 114 and 116 created?

Both Flerovium and Livermorium were created through a process called nuclear fusion, where smaller atoms are smashed together to create a larger, more unstable atom. This process requires highly specialized equipment and is only possible in laboratory settings.

5. Are elements 114 and 116 used in any practical applications?

As highly unstable and synthetic elements, Flerovium and Livermorium have no practical applications in everyday life. However, their discovery has contributed to our understanding of the periodic table and the behavior of atoms. They may also have potential uses in nuclear research and technology.