1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Linear Algebra Proof Basis/Dimension

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if W is a subspace of a finite-dimensional space V, then (dimension of W) is less than or equal to (dimension of V).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been trying to prove this by contradiction (assume dimension of W is greater than V and arrive at a contradiction) but am a little unclear on how to write the proof out. Here is my attempt so far:

W is a subspace of V. Assume S is a basis for W. If span(S) = V then dim(W) = dim(V).

Otherwise lets assume that dim(W) > dim(V).
    Let S = {V1,V2,...,Vn} be a basis for W. Let T = {V1,V2,...,Vk) be a basis for V where, because of our assumption, n>k (there are more vectors in the basis S than in T).

Here is where i'm not sure where to proceed. I'm trying to see where i can use the fact that S is a subset of V and compare the number of vectors in S and T but i'm just not seeing the answer. Please help me understand the next step conceptually. Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

verty

Homework Helper

From a purely logical viewpoint, you seem to make a leap here: "otherwise let's assume ...". You should draw an implication: "otherwise, we have that ..." or "otherwise, there is ...".

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are using a "proof by contradiction" so better wording would be "On the contrary, assume".... And, there is no reason to do dim(W)= dim(V) separately. Once you have shown a contradiction to "dim(W)> dim(V)", "less than or equal" follows.

And I would recommend being more "precise". "Let m be the dimension of V, n the dimension of W, with n> m." That means that there exist as set of n independent vector in W. Do you see how that contradicts m begin the dimension of V?

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4
    Thank you for helping me. It feels like this should be fairly simple but i'm having trouble writing out my ideas logically. Am I correct with my following reasoning?

Let m be the dimension of V, n the dimension of W, and assume n > m. This means there exists a set of n independent vectors in W. Since W is a subspace of V, this implies that there is a set of independent vectors in V larger than m. But this is impossible since every set in V containing more than m vectors must be linearly dependent. So n cannot be greater than m. Therefore it can only be true that dim(W) is less than or equal to dim(V).

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is perfectly good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook