Has anyone tried Gareth Jones' Elementary Number Theory? What's your review?

In summary, many reviewers on Amazon agree that Vanden Eynden's book is good, but some people think the price is too high. They also recommend a different book, which is cheap and has good reviews.
sEsposito
Does anyone have any comments or reviews to share on Gareth Jones' Elementary Number Theory? Is it suitable for an introduction to the subject?

If not, what is the recommended book?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a number theorist, but when I asked my number theory friends to recommend books, some of them suggested the one by Vanden Eynden.

reviewers on amazon agree vanden eynden is good but think $50+ is too expensive for it. (Of course I got mine free.) Maybe a library has it. The reviewers there also mostly like jones and jones, but several people say jones omits crucial non - intuitive steps from some proofs.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your input. I'm going to look into the Vanden Eynden book. It looks like I might be able to get it for around $30.00, which isn't too bad for a hardcover text.

On a side note, I've heard less than stellar things about Jones also. That's why I wanted to see if anyone else on here has a different opinion of the text...

One thing number theorists seem to agree on: it is important to learn quadratic reciprocity well.

I just finished taking the first quarter of undergrad number theory. We used the book by Shoup which was absolutely terrible.

Late in the quarter I discovered the book by Underwood Dudley which completely cleared up so many things for me; its a damn shame I didnt look at this book earlier in the quarter, woulda made the summer so much easier. Anyway, the book is great and its a dover editions so its also cheap.

I got the Vanden Eynden book yesterday and have started going through it.. It's a wonderful book. I'm very pleased and would recommend it to anyone looking to get into number theory. I get the feeling that once I finish this book I'll be more than aptly prepared for a course in number theory (b/c I am studying this on my own right now) and that I'll be able to move on to more advanced number theory texts and topics. Thanks for the recommendation, mathwonk.

thank you for the testimonial. now i can recommend it with even more confidence.

1. What is Elementary Number Theory?

Elementary Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of positive integers. It involves studying patterns in numbers, prime numbers, divisibility, and theorems such as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic.

2. What is the importance of Elementary Number Theory?

Elementary Number Theory is essential in many areas of mathematics, including cryptography, number theory, and algebra. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics.

3. What are prime numbers and why are they important in Elementary Number Theory?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. They play a crucial role in Elementary Number Theory because they are the building blocks of all positive integers and are used in many mathematical proofs and applications.

4. What is the Euclidean Algorithm and how is it used in Elementary Number Theory?

The Euclidean Algorithm is a method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two integers. It is used in Elementary Number Theory to simplify fractions, solve Diophantine equations, and prove theorems such as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic.

5. What is the difference between prime factorization and factorization in Elementary Number Theory?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, while factorization involves breaking down a number into any combination of its factors. Prime factorization is important in Elementary Number Theory because it helps us understand the properties of numbers and their relationships.