1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Quantum Mechanics Resource

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First of all, a bit about myself. I have just graduated from high school in Canada and now going to University for First-Year Engineering. I am having quite a bit of difficulty grasping even some of the so-called elementary concepts like basic quantum mechanics etc. Part of the reason for this is that I don't believe I have the right material. Textbooks and lecture notes tend to be rather dull, confusing and refers to concepts that weren't even taught back in high school. i.e. Although, Id appreciate help on my overall stance as a First-Year Engineering student.

But here is what Im looking for right now:

A resource, preferably a website, that covers materials on Quantum Mechanics. More specifically:
    -Electron Configuration (s,p,d,f orbitals) ; exceptions for Hund's rule in transition metals etc
    -ground states/excited states
    -Calculations involving energy gained or loss when an electron goes up an energy level or comes down (I think it has to do with Rydberg's equation)

Again, any help to find the appropriate resources would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. wikipedia.org is generally okay for introductory materials like you are asking for. For more advanced stuff and any controversial stuff, it can be edited by a wide range of posters, so take it with a grain of salt. It's a good place for your intro reading, IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook