Elementary Quantum Mechanics Resource

In summary, the individual is a first-year engineering student having difficulty with basic quantum mechanics and is looking for resources, specifically for electron configuration, ground states/excited states, and energy calculations. They have found Wikipedia to be a helpful resource for introductory materials, but advise caution when using it for more advanced or controversial topics.
lastlanding

Homework Statement

First of all, a bit about myself. I have just graduated from high school in Canada and now going to University for First-Year Engineering. I am having quite a bit of difficulty grasping even some of the so-called elementary concepts like basic quantum mechanics etc. Part of the reason for this is that I don't believe I have the right material. Textbooks and lecture notes tend to be rather dull, confusing and refers to concepts that weren't even taught back in high school. i.e. Although, Id appreciate help on my overall stance as a First-Year Engineering student.

But here is what I am looking for right now:

A resource, preferably a website, that covers materials on Quantum Mechanics. More specifically:
-Electron Configuration (s,p,d,f orbitals) ; exceptions for Hund's rule in transition metals etc
-ground states/excited states
-Calculations involving energy gained or loss when an electron goes up an energy level or comes down (I think it has to do with Rydberg's equation)

Again, any help to find the appropriate resources would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lastlanding said:

Homework Statement

First of all, a bit about myself. I have just graduated from high school in Canada and now going to University for First-Year Engineering. I am having quite a bit of difficulty grasping even some of the so-called elementary concepts like basic quantum mechanics etc. Part of the reason for this is that I don't believe I have the right material. Textbooks and lecture notes tend to be rather dull, confusing and refers to concepts that weren't even taught back in high school. i.e. Although, Id appreciate help on my overall stance as a First-Year Engineering student.

But here is what I am looking for right now:

A resource, preferably a website, that covers materials on Quantum Mechanics. More specifically:
-Electron Configuration (s,p,d,f orbitals) ; exceptions for Hund's rule in transition metals etc
-ground states/excited states
-Calculations involving energy gained or loss when an electron goes up an energy level or comes down (I think it has to do with Rydberg's equation)

Again, any help to find the appropriate resources would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the PF. wikipedia.org is generally okay for introductory materials like you are asking for. For more advanced stuff and any controversial stuff, it can be edited by a wide range of posters, so take it with a grain of salt. It's a good place for your intro reading, IMO.

Dear student,

I understand your struggle with grasping the concepts of quantum mechanics, especially as a first-year engineering student. It is a complex subject and can be challenging to understand without the right resources.

I would recommend seeking out textbooks or online resources specifically designed for introductory quantum mechanics for students at your level. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller. These textbooks cover the topics you mentioned, such as electron configuration, ground and excited states, and energy calculations.

Additionally, there are many online resources available that provide interactive simulations and visualizations of quantum mechanics concepts. Some popular websites include The Physics Classroom, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources can help make the concepts more tangible and easier to understand.

It is also important to seek help from your professors and teaching assistants if you are struggling with specific concepts. They can provide additional explanations and practice problems to help solidify your understanding.

I hope these suggestions help you find the appropriate resources to improve your understanding of quantum mechanics. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Elementary Quantum Mechanics Resource

1. What is Elementary Quantum Mechanics?

Elementary Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior and interactions of particles such as electrons, protons, and photons.

2. Why is it important to study Elementary Quantum Mechanics?

Elementary Quantum Mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of our universe and how they behave. It also plays a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computers.

3. What are some key concepts in Elementary Quantum Mechanics?

Some key concepts in Elementary Quantum Mechanics include wave-particle duality, superposition, and uncertainty principle. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have been verified through numerous experiments.

4. What resources are available for learning Elementary Quantum Mechanics?

There are several resources available for learning Elementary Quantum Mechanics, such as textbooks, online lectures, and tutorials. Many universities also offer courses on the subject, and there are various online forums and communities where one can ask questions and discuss concepts.

5. How does Elementary Quantum Mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while Elementary Quantum Mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics incorporates probabilistic behavior and the concept of wave-particle duality.