Why do poles occur at specific values of q in algebraic function integration?

In summary, the integral of dq. exp(iqd)/cos(qd) has finite limits and poles are in the upper left and lower right planes, depending on the value of q.
Master J
Say I am integrating some algebraic function with respect to a variable q. There is also an exp( iq ) in the integral as a factor.

There are poles when q takes a certian value as it is in the denominator as q - A, so pole at q = A.I know the poles are in the upper left plane, and lower right , but I can't see why this is. Could someone explain this ?

In addition, there are finite limits to the integral. Can one still use the residue method on this?

Cheers!

PS

If someone would like to also show me how to integrate it, I would be ever so grateful:

Integral of dq. exp ( iqd) / cos(qd) - E between pi/d and -pi/d

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{d/pi}_{-d/pi}[/tex]exp( iqd) / cos(qd) - E dq

Master J said:
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{d/pi}_{-d/pi}[/tex]exp( iqd) / cos(qd) - E dq

[tex]\int^{d/\pi}_{-d/\pi} \frac{e^{iqd}}{\cos(qd)-E}dq[/tex]

click on the formula and you can see how its tex'd

The wonders of Latex! :-) Thanks for putting that straight.

Now that the integral is clear, can anyone share with me HOW one does it??

yeah sorry. My residue knowledge is a little rusty, I was paying attention to follow along when someone else answers :p

No problem. Hopefully someone here can enlighten me? I haven't done much Complex Analysis, I've just recently encountered it in a course on the application of Green's Functions to physics, so I am at a loss here!

I am a little puzzled. Since cosine is periodic, it seems to equal E an infinite number of times, and where this happens should depend on E.

If you want to look at your integral as along an interval on the x axis, and as part of some closed path in the plane, it does not lend itself to the usual method of residues since the poles seemingly keep occurring more and more often as you try to go to infinity. but maybe you can take a vertical rectangle, based on your interval and maybe there will only be a finite number of poles in there.

I would look in some complex book like churchill.

Related to Why do poles occur at specific values of q in algebraic function integration?

1. What is the purpose of poles in elementary science?

Poles, also known as magnets, are used in elementary science to demonstrate the fundamental principles of magnetism and electricity. They can also be used to create simple machines and conduct experiments related to magnetic fields and forces.

2. How do poles attract and repel each other?

Poles have two ends, known as the north and south poles. The north pole of one magnet will attract the south pole of another magnet, while the north pole of one magnet will repel the north pole of another magnet. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic fields within the magnets.

3. Can poles be broken or separated?

Yes, poles can be broken or separated. This can happen if a magnet is dropped or hit with enough force. When a magnet breaks, it creates two new poles, with one end becoming the north pole and the other becoming the south pole.

4. Are there different types of poles?

Yes, there are different types of poles. The most commonly known types are permanent magnets and electromagnets. Permanent magnets have their own magnetic fields and retain their magnetism over time, while electromagnets are created by running an electric current through a wire wrapped around an iron core.

5. How are poles used in everyday life?

Poles are used in a variety of everyday objects, such as compasses, speakers, and hard drives. They are also used in transportation, such as in trains and motors. Additionally, poles are used in medical imaging machines, such as MRI scanners, to create detailed images of the body's internal structures.