Elevator Acceleration Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of an elevator using a bathroom scale and recording the maximum and minimum values. The calculations result in an acceleration of 0.65 m/s^2 when the elevator starts moving and -0.98 m/s^2 when it stops. The person is unsure if their answer is correct and is seeking reassurance.
physics111
I'm having a hard time with this question, I've done my share of research/computation and came up with an answer. Though I don't think the answer is correct and it might not even be what the question is asking for. Please help me out, thanks in advance!

Weight in an Accelerating Elevator

Take a bathroom scale and go into an elevator. Read your weight on the scale when the elevator is at rest. If the elevator is moving upwards or downwards you will observe that the reading on the scale changes. Record the maximum and the minimum values read on the scale. Using this information, find the elevators acceleration as it starts moving and as it stops. Make sure your result is given in the SI units for acceleration.
Include a diagram for each case, and show all your calculations.

MY attempt at a solution:
150lbs at rest=68.04kg=666.79N
160lbs at max=72.57kg=711.19N
135lbs at min=61.23kg=600.05N

Fnet=F-mg=ma

711.9N-666.79N=68.04a
45.11-68.04a
a=.65 m/s^2

600.05N-666.79N=68.04a
-66.74N=68.04a
a= -.98m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you measure these values yourself?
The calculation look OK. What bothers you?

Yes i measured these values myself quite a few times to be accurate, i don't know i just came up with this answer randomly I'm not exactly sure I am on the right track!

The acceleration values sound reasonable for an accelerating elevator. And your calculations are correctly set up.

The calculation is OK as you did it.
Do you have a problem with the values for acceleration? What would you expect?

What is elevator acceleration?

Elevator acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an elevator changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) and can be positive or negative, depending on whether the elevator is moving up or down.

What factors affect elevator acceleration?

Several factors can affect elevator acceleration, including the weight of the elevator and its occupants, the speed at which the elevator is traveling, and the friction between the elevator and its guide rails.

How is elevator acceleration calculated?

Elevator acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the elevator by its mass.

Why is elevator acceleration important to consider?

Elevator acceleration is important to consider because it affects the comfort and safety of passengers. A sudden change in acceleration can cause discomfort or even injuries, so engineers must carefully design elevators to ensure smooth and controlled acceleration.

What is the maximum acceleration of an elevator?

The maximum acceleration of an elevator is typically around 1-2 m/s², although it can vary depending on the design and purpose of the elevator. Higher acceleration rates may be used in high-speed elevators, but these must also be designed to minimize discomfort for passengers.