Calculating Work and Speed of Elevator with Broken Cable

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by gravity on a falling elevator, the speed of the elevator before hitting a spring, and the amount of compression of the spring. The equations used are PEgr = mgh and PEel = 1/2kx^2, and the final calculation for the spring compression involves solving a quadratic equation.
Trizz

Homework Statement

An elevator cable breaks when a 798 kg elevator is 28.9 m above a huge spring (k = 8.00 multiplied by 104 N/m) at the bottom of the shaft.

(a) Calculate the work done by gravity on the elevator before it hits the spring. I got 226009 which is right

(b) Calculate the speed of the elevator just before striking the spring. I got 23.8 which is right

(c) Calculate the amount the spring compresses (note that work is done by both the spring and gravity in this part).

I need help with C!

Homework Equations

PEgr = mgh
PEel = 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have my work in front of me right now but I got 2.28 and 2.38 and they were each wrong. I'll edit this later if i find my work

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember now... I did it quadratically.

My final set up was

4.00e4 x^2 + 7828 x - 226009

PEel = 1/2kx^2
It should be
mg(h+x) = 1/2kx^2

mg(h+x) = 1/2kx^2 so would it be 7820(28.9+x) = 1/2(8*10^4)(x^2)

then... 226009 + 7820x = 40000x^2

or... -40000x^2 + 7820x + 226009 = 0

then would x be 2.47?I'm only clarifying because I have one chance left to get it right

Your answer is correct.

thank you so much

1. What causes elevator cable breaks?

Elevator cable breaks can be caused by several factors, including wear and tear over time, improper maintenance, overloading the elevator, or manufacturing defects.

2. How often do elevator cables need to be replaced?

The frequency of elevator cable replacements varies depending on the type of elevator and the amount of usage. However, most elevators have a recommended replacement schedule of every 15-20 years.

3. Can elevator cable breaks be prevented?

While some causes of elevator cable breaks cannot be prevented, regular maintenance and inspections can help identify any potential issues before they become a major problem. Additionally, following weight limits and proper usage guidelines can also help prevent cable breaks.

4. What happens when an elevator cable breaks?

When an elevator cable breaks, the elevator will immediately stop moving and may jolt or shake slightly. The safety mechanisms in place will engage to prevent the elevator from falling. It is important for passengers to remain calm and wait for help to arrive.

5. How are elevator cables repaired?

Elevator cable repairs must be completed by trained professionals. The process typically involves replacing the damaged cable or splicing it back together if possible. The elevator will also undergo thorough safety checks before being put back into service.