Elevator with constant acceleration

In summary, the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1137 ft high and it takes 1 min, 20 s for the high-speed elevator to ascend from the ground floor to the top. The elevator starts and ends at rest and maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop. The trip consists of two constant-acceleration segments, each with the same duration. The magnitude of the elevator's acceleration can be found using the equation h = v0t + 0.5at^2, which results in a = 0.7 ft/sec^2.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

The Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1137 ft high. It takes 1 min, 20 s to ascend from the ground floor to the top of the tower using the high-speed elevator. The elevator starts and ends at rest. Assume that it maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, and then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the elevator.

The trip consists of two constant-acceleration segments, each of which has the same duration. You know the total displacement of the elevator.

Homework Equations

h = v0t + 0.5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

The last sentence makes me think the elevator accelerates to a certain speed, which it reaches half way up, and then decelerates with the same magnitude, stopping at the top.
Assume that it maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, and then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop

This would mean
h = 568.5 = 0 +0.5(a)(402
a = 0.71ft/sec

I can't think of another way to solve this, but that isn't the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:

Homework Statement

The Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1137 ft high. It takes 1 min, 20 s to ascend from the ground floor to the top of the tower using the high-speed elevator. The elevator starts and ends at rest. Assume that it maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, and then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the elevator.

The trip consists of two constant-acceleration segments, each of which has the same duration. You know the total displacement of the elevator.

Homework Equations

h = v0t + 0.5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

The last sentence makes me think the elevator accelerates to a certain speed, which it reaches half way up, and then decelerates with the same magnitude, stopping at the top.

This would mean
h = 568.5 = 0 +0.5(a)(402
a = 0.71ft/sec

I can't think of another way to solve this, but that isn't the correct answer.
For one thing, you units of acceleration are incorrect.

ft/sec^2...I forgot to type the 2

it could be a significant figure thing...a = 0.7 ft/sec^2...or perhaps a 'book' error

PhanthomJay said:
it could be a significant figure thing...a = 0.7 ft/sec^2...or perhaps a 'book' error
Ok good, so you agree that I'm reading the problem correctly?

cowmoo32 said:
Ok good, so you agree that I'm reading the problem correctly?
yes.

1. What is an elevator with constant acceleration?

An elevator with constant acceleration is an elevator that moves up or down at a steady rate, meaning its speed is constantly increasing or decreasing by the same amount over a given period of time.

2. How does an elevator with constant acceleration work?

An elevator with constant acceleration works by using an electric motor to pull a cable that is attached to a car. The car is lifted or lowered by the cable, which is wrapped around a pulley system. The electric motor controls the speed and direction of the elevator.

3. What is the difference between an elevator with constant acceleration and one without?

The main difference between an elevator with constant acceleration and one without is that the former has a smooth and consistent movement, while the latter may have jerky movements due to changes in speed and direction. An elevator with constant acceleration also typically has a faster travel time.

4. How is the acceleration of an elevator controlled?

The acceleration of an elevator is controlled by the electric motor. The motor is programmed to increase or decrease the speed of the elevator at a constant rate, which is usually around 0.5 meters per second squared.

5. Is it safe to ride in an elevator with constant acceleration?

Yes, it is safe to ride in an elevator with constant acceleration. Elevators are designed and built to meet strict safety standards and regulations. The constant acceleration allows for a smoother and more comfortable ride for passengers.