1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elevator with constant acceleration

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1137 ft high. It takes 1 min, 20 s to ascend from the ground floor to the top of the tower using the high-speed elevator. The elevator starts and ends at rest. Assume that it maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, and then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the elevator.

The trip consists of two constant-acceleration segments, each of which has the same duration. You know the total displacement of the elevator.

2. Relevant equations
    h = v0t + 0.5at2

3. The attempt at a solution
    The last sentence makes me think the elevator accelerates to a certain speed, which it reaches half way up, and then decelerates with the same magnitude, stopping at the top.
    This would mean
    h = 568.5 = 0 +0.5(a)(402
    a = 0.71ft/sec

I can't think of another way to solve this, but that isn't the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For one thing, you units of acceleration are incorrect.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    ft/sec^2....I forgot to type the 2

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

it could be a significant figure thing....a = 0.7 ft/sec^2...or perhaps a 'book' error

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5
    Ok good, so you agree that I'm reading the problem correctly?

7. Aug 24, 2012 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook