• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Elevator with constant acceleration

• Thread starter cowmoo32
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1137 ft high. It takes 1 min, 20 s to ascend from the ground floor to the top of the tower using the high-speed elevator. The elevator starts and ends at rest. Assume that it maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, and then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the elevator.

The trip consists of two constant-acceleration segments, each of which has the same duration. You know the total displacement of the elevator.

Homework Equations

h = v0t + 0.5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

The last sentence makes me think the elevator accelerates to a certain speed, which it reaches half way up, and then decelerates with the same magnitude, stopping at the top.
Assume that it maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, and then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop
This would mean
h = 568.5 = 0 +0.5(a)(402
a = 0.71ft/sec

I can't think of another way to solve this, but that isn't the correct answer.

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1137 ft high. It takes 1 min, 20 s to ascend from the ground floor to the top of the tower using the high-speed elevator. The elevator starts and ends at rest. Assume that it maintains a constant upward acceleration until it reaches its maximum speed, and then maintains a constant acceleration of equal magnitude until it comes to a stop. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the elevator.

The trip consists of two constant-acceleration segments, each of which has the same duration. You know the total displacement of the elevator.

Homework Equations

h = v0t + 0.5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

The last sentence makes me think the elevator accelerates to a certain speed, which it reaches half way up, and then decelerates with the same magnitude, stopping at the top.

This would mean
h = 568.5 = 0 +0.5(a)(402
a = 0.71ft/sec

I can't think of another way to solve this, but that isn't the correct answer.
For one thing, you units of acceleration are incorrect.

ft/sec^2....I forgot to type the 2

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
it could be a significant figure thing....a = 0.7 ft/sec^2...or perhaps a 'book' error

it could be a significant figure thing....a = 0.7 ft/sec^2...or perhaps a 'book' error
Ok good, so you agree that I'm reading the problem correctly?

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Ok good, so you agree that I'm reading the problem correctly?
yes.