Proof of Elliptical Motion through R(t) Equation

• Thread starter nna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation is about proving that the position vector r(t) moves on an ellipse. The person asking for help understands the parametric equation for a canonical ellipse, but is struggling to find a trigonometric identity that will help them. Another person suggests looking at the general parametric equation for an ellipse and notes that the equation given by the first person fits perfectly. However, the first person is still unsure how to prove the statement.
nna

Homework Statement

Hi!, can anybody help me with this problem?

Proof that the position vector r(t) = A cos [tex]\omega[/tex]t i + B sin ([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\alpha[/tex]) moves on an ellipse.

I understand that the parametric equation for an ellipse is x=a cos t & y=b sin t, but I just can't find any trigonometric identity that helps me. Do you know any math trick that could help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
x=a cos t, y=b sin t is only for a canonical ellipse. If you find the general parametric equation for an ellipse, you'll see that your equation fits perfectly.

I understood what you say, but the only thing I could see was that the ellipse is rotated, but I still don't know how to prove the statement

1. What is the R(t) equation and how is it used to prove elliptical motion?

The R(t) equation, also known as the polar equation of an ellipse, is a mathematical representation of the shape of an ellipse in polar coordinates. It is used to describe the distance of an object from a fixed point, known as the focus, on an ellipse as a function of time. By analyzing the R(t) equation, we can determine the shape and motion of an object moving in an elliptical path.

2. How does the R(t) equation differ from the standard Cartesian equation of an ellipse?

The R(t) equation is written in polar coordinates, while the standard Cartesian equation of an ellipse is written in rectangular coordinates. This means that the R(t) equation describes the position of an object in terms of its distance from a fixed point and the angle it makes with a reference line, while the Cartesian equation uses the x and y coordinates of the object's position.

3. Can the R(t) equation be used to prove the elliptical motion of any object?

Yes, the R(t) equation can be used to prove the elliptical motion of any object that moves in an elliptical path. This includes planets orbiting around a star, satellites orbiting around a planet, and even the motion of electrons in an atom. As long as the motion follows an elliptical path, the R(t) equation can be used to describe it.

4. How does the R(t) equation relate to Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's laws of planetary motion state that planets move in elliptical orbits with the sun at one of the foci. The R(t) equation is a mathematical representation of this motion, as it describes the distance of a planet from the sun as a function of time. By analyzing the R(t) equation, we can verify and better understand Kepler's laws.

5. What other factors are involved in proving elliptical motion, besides the R(t) equation?

In addition to the R(t) equation, other factors such as the mass and velocity of the object, the gravitational force acting on the object, and the laws of motion (such as Newton's laws) are also involved in proving elliptical motion. These factors all work together to determine the shape and motion of an object in an elliptical path.