Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Elongation of a spring in a two mass system

1. Sep 27, 2018 #1
    The Question is posted as a photograph with a. little change. One of the mass in the photo is equal to '2m' rather than 'm'. Now the block won't stop consecutively.
    How would we approach the question?

1538057568873~2.jpeg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2018 #2
    What is your force balance on each of the masses at some arbitrary time?

4. Sep 28, 2018 #3
    Yes Ofcourse as per the question it clearly seems it will.
    But please dont say it will be the maximum elongation when force balances cause it will not.

5. Sep 28, 2018 #4
    This answer doesn't seem to relate to my question at all. Please write down for us the force balance equations you derived to solve this problem.

6. Sep 28, 2018 #5
    sir,
    if both the blocks are of equal masses then the maximum compression would. be seen. at the time they both stop momentarily and consecutively the first time..Hence their kinetic enengirs would turn into potential for spring.

But my ques. of what if masses are unequal.
    one is m and. other. is 2m.
    Idont know how to find the answer then as both masses wont stop consecutively

7. Sep 28, 2018 #6
    You still haven't answered my question. What are the force balance equations on the masses?

8. Sep 28, 2018 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Have you considered changing to a frame of reference where the center of mass is at rest?

Or you could consider writing down some equations as @Chestermiller has asked. Both roads lead to a solution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted