EM Wave Boundary Layer Question

• Thread starter DJungquist
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I understand application of Snell's law for transition from one medium to another but I have a question regarding this model. When an electromagnetic wave transitions from air into a conductive medium does the wavelength change instantaneously as the theory seems to imply or is there a boundary layer which is ignored because at usual wavelengths the boundary transition is so small it doesn't matter?

The case I am interested in is a low frequency wave which has a wavelength of 3000 km into a medium that reduces the wavelength to 158 m. So is there a transition region? If so, can someone point me to a resource that discusses the behavior in the boundary layer as the wavelength changes.

Answers and Replies

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The wav length changes at the interface wilth no transition region.
If it is a conductive medium, the wave will attenuate in a finite distance.

The wav length changes at the interface wilth no transition region.
If it is a conductive medium, the wave will attenuate in a finite distance.
I understand the attenuation will be a function of frequency, permeability and conductivity. I was just wondering if there was something similar to a near field effect on an antenna where in the first wavelength you get some interesting physics. Given the wavelengths involved if there was a near field like effect it would be over a fairly large boundary.