EM waves and blackbody radiation question

In summary, the problem asks for the power emitted by a rectangular metal plate heated to a temperature of 1,433 K. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, the power is proportional to the temperature raised to the fourth power and the surface area of the plate. The Stefan-Boltzmann constant is necessary for the calculation and has a value of 5.670373(21)×10−8 W m−2 K−4.
AlaskanPow

Homework Statement

A rectangular metal plate measures 0.20 m long and 0.3 m wide. The plate is heated to a temperature of 1,433 K by passing a current through it. Assuming that it behaves like a blackbody, how much power does the plate radiate under these conditions?

Homework Equations

P∝T^4 (power is proportional to the temperature raised to the fourth power)
Only relevant equation I can find in my textbook so far. I don't where to factor in the lengths in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried all sorts of combos of the equation i gave, but all of them are wrong. I have the same question with different numbers and the answer to that one but still don't know how to get it.ψ

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok you might not heard about stefan boltzman law
P=σAT4.(where A is surface area:smile:)
Where σ is called stefan boltzman constant its value is 5.670373(21)×10−8 W m−2 K−4.
Now find it it is easy.

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They consist of an electric field and a magnetic field that oscillate perpendicular to each other and travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How are EM waves produced?

EM waves are produced when an electric charge is accelerated. This can happen through a variety of processes, such as the movement of electrons in an antenna or the vibration of atoms and molecules. EM waves can also be produced artificially through devices such as lasers or microwaves.

3. What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation is the thermal electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object due to its temperature. All objects with a temperature above absolute zero emit blackbody radiation, and the spectrum of this radiation is dependent on the temperature of the object.

4. How does blackbody radiation relate to EM waves?

Blackbody radiation is a form of EM radiation, as it is composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. The intensity and frequency of blackbody radiation is determined by the temperature of the object emitting it, as well as its composition and structure.

5. What are some everyday examples of EM waves and blackbody radiation?

Some examples of EM waves and blackbody radiation in everyday life include sunlight (which is a combination of visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet radiation), microwaves used in cooking, and the thermal radiation emitted by a fire or a heated object.