Calculating Quanta Emitted by a Blackbody at 500 C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Aoiumi
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The temperature of a blackbody is 500 C. If the intensity of the emitted radiation, 2.0 W/m^2, were due entirely to the most intense frequency component, how many quanta of radiation would be emiteed per second per square meter?

Homework Equations



λmaxT = 2.90 x 10^-3 m K


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure where to begin or how to use intensity.
500 C = 773.15 K

I calculated λmax = 2.90 x 10^-3 m K / 773.15 K = 3750 nm or 3.75 x 10 ^-6 m. I'm not sure where to go from here. Please help. Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A useful relationship to consider is this one:

[itex]J=∫^{∞}_{0}J_{λ}(T)dλ[/itex]

This tells you the total energy radiated per unit time per unit surface area of a black body.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person