1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM waves in matter (electrodynamics)

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    I'm having some trouble understanding this module. It would be great if anyone could help.

In a homogeneous nonconduction region where μr = 1, find εr and ω if

E=30(pi)e[i(ωt-4/3y)] in z direction

H=0.1e[i(ωt-4/3y)] in x direction

I am to understand that for a homognous nonconduction region D=εE and ε=εrε0. However, just equating εr=D/ε0E doesn't seem right. Judging from textbooks and notes I am assuming i must use Maxwell's eqn's for a homogenous nonconducting region, but I'm not sure where to get started. Similarly for ω i can equate ω=(ln|B/10μ0|+4/3y)/t. But again, I'm not sre that this is right.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's nothing wrong with saying [itex]\epsilon_r=\frac{D}{\epsilon_0 E}[/itex]...but since [itex]D[/itex] is not given to you, you'll need to express it n terms of the parameters that are given to you in the problem (like [itex]\omega[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex])...to do that, take a look at what [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{H}[/itex] is....

As for finding [itex]\omega[/itex], try calculating [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{E}[/itex] and compare it to the relevant Maxwell equation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook