Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emailed me by mistake

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have a message in my inbox from a student wanting help, i can only
    think that he, she has miss directed the message as i am unqualified
    to answer, and he, she has only one week before an exam, i think it
    urgent that this message is re directed, pls tell me how.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

goldi

Read my Journal About My Exam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
    I was just studying Electronics in this semester and till now i have scored a total of 21 marks out of 120 marks and an End semester exam is remaining which is after 1 week and i am bit afraid that may be i will fail...but what this will create is for me that my hardwork will go waste which i would have had used in improving my grades of other subjects..i have taled to my instructor and tutor both...My Tutor said to me to collect the strength and top the exam and he promised that i will get an 'A'...but if i am gonna remain below avg. i am gonna get F..
    Pls advice me that should i go for this chance or try to improve other subjects...
    My end sem. is after exactly 1 week....
    Waiting for urs kind advice...
    Goldi

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I got one, too, I'll tell her in clear words what I think abou spamming PM's.

5. Apr 18, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I ocassionally get requests for help from students via PM. If it is a topic I think is appropriate for forum discussion, I suggest they post it there to get more responses. Sometimes students ask questions where they need to share more personal information to get advice and don't wish to do that on the main board, thus it is more appropriate for PM. If I am able to help, I do so, and if I'm not, sending them a brief reply that I am unable to assist either due to lack of knowledge regarding their specific question or lack of time, etc., is what I consider the polite response. Of course if I get persistent questions from someone who I've already informed I can't help, then the easiest way to handle it is to ignore them.

6. Apr 18, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I received this message,too and others before.I've given the same advice to post the problem in one of the forums...

Daniel.

7. Apr 18, 2005 #6
    Hmm I got the same message. Why me? I know nothing!

8. Apr 18, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Me neither,i hope Warren,Greg or someone else would give us an advice on what we should be doing in these cases.Or tell us,whether they did/plan to do anything.

It's definitely weird,mabe a bit of abnormal,too.

Daniel.

9. Apr 19, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Would it be possible to have a" closed" personal problem address
    that only advisors could view?

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that's a good idea.People are free to discuss anything in private,including personal issues.I am really not looking forward to finding out someone's (dirty) secrets...And i'm not willing to be a part of it.I guess i'm not cut out for phsychological councilling...:rolleyes:

Daniel.

11. Apr 19, 2005 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just respond by saying that they should post the problem in an appropriate forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?