EMC noise in instrumentation amplifier.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concern about electromagnetic interference (EMI) in a new lab setup for recording muscular activity. The speaker mentions using a data acquisition system with built-in filters to mitigate any potential noise issues. They suggest getting a professional to measure the room for a better understanding of the type of noise present. The conversation concludes by emphasizing the importance of considering EMI when working with small signals.
lavoie23
Hello,

First thread on this forum! Thank you for giving me you're opinion about a question that I have.

I am using a data acquisition system (ADInstruments Powerlab 16/30) to record muscular activity from electrodes. So far, everything is working properly.

I recently got an approval to move my setup into a new lab. However, it's situated right next to the main electrical room of the hospital I am working for.

My question is: Do I have to worry about the EMC noise? Is there a danger for my data's integrity?

Thank you very much!
Jonathan

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no way to answer that question without knowing more details.
The best thing to do would be to get someone to come and actually measure the room fopr you.
However, even a measurement will only be helpful if you know exactly WHAT kind of noise you are sensitive to, i.e. are you sensitive to inductive 50/60 HZ pickup, RF, noise on the mains etc.

You should always worry amount EMI when working with small signals.

I looked at the Powerlab 16/30 specifications and it has a built-in low pass filters that might be of help to get rid of any noise above the response frequencies you are looking at.

1. What is EMC noise in instrumentation amplifier?

Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) noise in instrumentation amplifier refers to unwanted electrical signals or interference that can affect the performance of the amplifier. It can come from external sources such as power lines, radio frequencies, or other electronic devices, or it can be generated internally within the amplifier itself.

2. How does EMC noise affect the accuracy of an instrumentation amplifier?

EMC noise can cause errors in the output of an instrumentation amplifier by adding unwanted signals to the input signal being measured. This can result in inaccurate measurements and affect the overall performance and reliability of the amplifier.

3. What are some common sources of EMC noise in instrumentation amplifiers?

Some common sources of EMC noise in instrumentation amplifiers include electromagnetic interference (EMI) from nearby electronic devices, ground loops, and poor shielding or grounding of the amplifier circuit.

4. How can EMC noise be minimized in instrumentation amplifiers?

There are several ways to minimize EMC noise in instrumentation amplifiers, such as using proper grounding and shielding techniques, using low-noise components, and filtering the input signal to remove unwanted frequencies. Additionally, choosing an amplifier with good common mode rejection ratio (CMRR) can also help reduce EMC noise.

5. What is the role of PCB layout in reducing EMC noise in instrumentation amplifiers?

The PCB layout plays a crucial role in minimizing EMC noise in instrumentation amplifiers. A well-designed PCB layout can help reduce the effects of EMI, minimize ground loops, and ensure proper shielding and grounding of the amplifier circuit. It is important to keep signal traces and power/ground traces separate and to use appropriate decoupling capacitors to filter out high-frequency noise.