How to Design a Microvolt Pulse Detector Circuit with High Gain and Low Noise

In summary: Well, are you going to tell us how you did it? We too like to learn!In summary, I am currently working on a small personal project to design a few circuits. I am trying to built a circuit that can detect 100 uV pulses with a pulse width of about 10 uS. I'd like to boost the voltage to a value readable by an FPGA (let say ~2 volts). I'm currently thinking about the architecture I want to use to solve this problem. I'd like your input on my approach and maybe some suggestions for other circuit layouts to use.
donpacino
Gold Member
I am currently working on a small personal project to design a few circuits. I am trying to built a circuit that can detect 100 uV pulses with a pulse width of about 10 uS. I'd like to boost the voltage to a value readable by an FPGA (let say ~2 volts). I'm currently thinking about the architecture I want to use to solve this problem. I'd like your input on my approach and maybe some suggestions for other circuit layouts to use.

Initially I thought about using a standard instrumentation amplifier layout similar to the one seen in the link below. However I am concerned with the non ideal effects of the op amps.

hhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Op-Amp_Instrumentation_Amplifier.svg/400px-Op-Amp_Instrumentation_Amplifier.svg.png

The required gain to get to 2 volts is 20,000. with a CMRR of 100 that would be multiply common mode noise by 200, which could be fairly significant. With the dc offset introduced by the op amps an subsequent amplifier stages would greatly increase any noise, even with a good CMRR.

That being said, the best I could come up with is a 2 stage instrumentation amp, followed by another diff amp stage. I have large dc offset and would appreciate any architecture ideas.

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
donpacino said:
That being said, the best I could come up with is a 2 stage instrumentation amp, followed by another diff amp stage. I have large dc offset and would appreciate any architecture ideas.
Multiple stages is a good idea. A gain of over 1000 for an opamp is likely to produce a fair amount of non-linear distortion. To get rid of the DC offset, use a large value capacitor (100uF should be ample even for fairly low frequencies) at the output of each stage.

donpacino said:
100 uV pulses with a pulse width of about 10 uS
How much tolerance is in the "about 10us" number? I'd recommend using AC amplification stages with bandpass filtering around the fundamental frequiency of these pulses. That will help you to reject the noise as well. I wouldn't make the Q too high for the filters, since you want single pulses to get through.

Likes Tom.G, Averagesupernova and jim hardy
Hey good ideas from both of you.

The 10 us is a hard minimum length (highest frequency) that would be seen. the longest would be 50 us.

Thanks for the advice.

The waveform has components down to zero frequency, so a BPF will produce distortion and may result in an incorrect voltage reading. The gain being asked for is very high, 86 dB, and is not easy. I would tend to use a smaller voltage gain of, say, 20 and then use a peak reading square law diode detector. This can then be followed by some DC gain. The diode can be followed by a current-to-voltage converter op-amp circuit, which will work very well.

Thanks for the help everyone, I got it working fairly well using ltspice!

Likes berkeman
donpacino said:
Thanks for the help everyone, I got it working fairly well using ltspice!
Well, are you going to tell us how you did it? We too like to learn!

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a microvolt pulse detector?

A microvolt pulse detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure very small electrical signals in the range of microvolts (one millionth of a volt). It is often used in research and medical settings to study and monitor biological electrical activity.

2. How does a microvolt pulse detector work?

A microvolt pulse detector works by amplifying and filtering incoming electrical signals before converting them into a digital output. The amplified signal is then displayed on a screen or recorded for further analysis. The sensitivity and accuracy of the detector are determined by its components and calibration.

3. What types of research can a microvolt pulse detector be used for?

A microvolt pulse detector can be used in a wide range of research fields, such as neuroscience, cardiology, and bioengineering. It is commonly used to study brain activity, heart function, and other biological processes that involve electrical signals. It can also be used in industrial settings for quality control and testing.

4. Are there any limitations to using a microvolt pulse detector?

Like any scientific instrument, there are limitations to using a microvolt pulse detector. It may have a limited frequency range or be affected by external interference. Also, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by the quality and placement of electrodes. It is important to properly calibrate and maintain the detector to ensure accurate results.

5. Can a microvolt pulse detector be used for medical purposes?

Yes, a microvolt pulse detector is commonly used in medical settings for diagnosing and monitoring various conditions. It can be used to measure the electrical activity in the brain, heart, and muscles, helping doctors to identify and treat abnormalities. However, it should always be used by trained professionals and under the guidance of a physician.