1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emergency relief - Plane Vector

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    As your aircraft moves in a northerly direction at a constant speed of 200 km h-1, it is
    buffeted by winds of 80 km h-1 from the north-east.

Question 1 – What is the ground speed and direction of your aircraft while it is
    being buffeted (Hit/pounded) by this wind?

Direction = Tan^-1 (80/200) = 21.8Degrees N-E
    Speed = squareroot (200^2+80^2) = 215.4kmh^-1

My direction answer is wrong by a mear 0.3degrees, but, my speed answer is wrong. The answer in the text I'm studying out of says that the speed is 154kmh^-1, Except this is unlogical seeing that the wind is hitting the plane going in a north easternly direction therefore making the vector a addition vector (For example to show that the answer cannot be less then 200kmh^-1), it would seem that if the wind was coming southernly then it would slow down the plane.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    if the question u have doesnt say that the wind is from north-east to south-west .. then ur answer is correct .. if it does then the answer in the book is right..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook