Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Emitting Photon and Energy Change

1. Jun 6, 2017 #1
    I know that my title is not very suitable for this question, but I couldnt find right words to describe the situation.I read a book called '101 Quantum Questions ' and there writer states that when electron absorbs energy and goes higher energy level, we dont know when and where it will come to lower energy level.

1-Is this true ? (Am I interpreted this in a right way ? )
    2-Is this problem solved ?
    3-If its solved any references, If its not any ideas,referances about this issue so that I can search more deeply ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2017 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure everyone would call this a problem. Much quantum behavior is governed by statistical behavior and cannot be predicted in individual cases. This is one of those.

4. Jun 6, 2017 #3
    I see...the book kind of represented in that way, maybe its about uncertanity principle ? But in other aspects make sense that its statistical and not a problem.

5. Jun 6, 2017 #4

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jun 7, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

In physics a theory gets problems is it contradicts observational facts, but that's not the case here. Spontaneous emission is a probabilistic process, and no observation has disproven this consequence of QT. So there's no problem.

7. Jun 7, 2017 #6
    Make sense, I thought in a classical way that there must a certain answer to this problem but of course theres not..

8. Jun 7, 2017 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted