Finding the force on a shaft when given Watts - shaft design

In summary, the conversation is about designing a shaft and bearings for a power transmission mechanism. The goal is to find the force in torque acting on the shaft in order to design it. One person attempted to solve the problem by converting RPM to hertz and then using the formula 1 W = 1 (N*m)/s, but realized their error and used rad/s instead. Another person used a different approach and also got the same answer. There seems to be no error in the calculations.
cardriverx

Homework Statement

I think I did this right, but for some reason I am second guessing myself. I don't need help with the whole question, just this part:

The question says "In this exercise, you will design and analyze a shaft and the bearings for use in a power transmission mechanism. You are to produce a detailed drawing of the shaft, including all features necessary to retain the shaft in the bearings and attach the gear. Include all tolerances and dimensions required to manufacture the shaft.

The gear has a 150 mm pitch diameter, and the shaft transmits 1500 W at a speed of 300 rpm."

There is a gear at one end of the shaft, then two bearings, then an end point where it is attached to some component not specified.

So I want to find the force in torque acting on the shaft so that I can actually design it.

Homework Equations

1 W = 1 (N*m)/s

The Attempt at a Solution

300rpm = 5hz (1/s)

5 hz * X N*m= 1500 W

Solve for X, it equals 300 N*m

So then since the radius of the gear is .075m,

300/.075 = 4000N
Is that a valid way to go from Watts when given RPM to force?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found my error, I need to use rad/s not hz.

so 300 rpm = 31.42 rad/s

31.42*X=1500W

X = 47.7 N*m

But I thought hz is 1/s so when you multiply it by watts it would cancel out the seconds and give you N*m, why does this not work?

I worked it using a different approach, and got the same answer. I can't see anything wrong with your work.

1. How do you calculate the force on a shaft given the watts?

The force on a shaft can be calculated by dividing the watts by the angular velocity of the shaft. This will give you the torque, which can then be converted to force by dividing by the radius of the shaft.

2. What is the relationship between watts and force on a shaft?

Watts and force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the watts increase, the force on the shaft will also increase. Similarly, if the watts decrease, the force on the shaft will decrease.

3. How does the design of a shaft affect the force?

The design of a shaft can affect the force in several ways. The material, diameter, and length of the shaft can all impact the amount of force it can handle. A thicker and shorter shaft will be able to withstand more force compared to a thinner and longer shaft.

4. How can you determine the maximum force a shaft can handle?

The maximum force a shaft can handle can be determined by calculating the maximum torque it can withstand and then converting it to force using the radius of the shaft. This information can usually be found in the shaft's design specifications or by conducting strength tests.

5. Are there any safety considerations when finding the force on a shaft?

Yes, it is important to consider safety when calculating the force on a shaft. It is crucial to ensure that the shaft is designed to handle the expected force to prevent accidents or damage to the equipment. It is also important to follow safety protocols when conducting strength tests on shafts.