Understanding Proper Subsets: An Explanation of the Empty Set in Set Theory

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proper subsets and the confusion regarding the notation used for the empty set. It is explained that the empty set is always a subset of any set and that the use of brackets depends on whether the empty set is a member of the set or a set within the set. The example of A={4,{5},6} and B={{5},6,7} is given to further illustrate this concept.
bonfire09
Ok I am a bit confused here. According to the definition of a proper subset means that everything in set A is in set b and a set always contains an extra pair of brackets. But in this example
C={∅,{∅}} why is this correct ∅ ⊆C instead of {∅} ⊆C for the first object?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking. What do you mean extra brackets? A proper subset just means that if A is a proper subset of B, A is a subset of B and A =/= B.

If you're just asking why the empty set is always a subset, just look at what it would mean if it weren't. If the empty set weren't a subset of A, then that would mean the empty set contains some element that is not in A. But, that's impossible because the empty set has no elements.

Steve - right click the number and copy the link address, or just look at the format here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4048220&postcount=5

im asking is that if i say that ∅⊆C is this correct?

Sure is.

Feel free to read that symbol as "Is a subset of OR is equal to." Since the empty set is a subset of anything, that statement is true and tautologous for any arbitrary C.

does this mean that what i said means that it points to the first empty set element within the set C?

What?

how would i say that the first empty set in set C is a subset of C?

With what you just wrote.

∅ is the empty set.
{∅} is.. "the set of the empty set."

oh ok. I was just a bit confused since you usually you put brackets around something when your saying that a set is a subset of another set such as this-

C={4,5,6) D={1,2,3,4,5,6}

{4,5,6}⊆{1,2,3,4,5,6}

But with the empty set I assume don't need to put brackets around it unless its a set within another set

Specifically, {∅} is NOT empty- it contains one element, the empty set. The set you give, C= {∅,{∅}} contains two elements, the empty set and the set whose only member is the empty set. Here it is perfectly correct to say that ∅[itex]\subset[/itex] C (the empty set is a subset of any set, as you say), {∅}[itex]\subset[/itex] C because ∅ is a member of C, and {{∅}}[itex]\subset[/itex] C because {∅} is a member of C.;

oh ok i get it but how about this one A={4,{5},6} and B={{5},6,7}. would A be a proper subset of B?

FAQ: Understanding Proper Subsets: An Explanation of the Empty Set in Set Theory

1. What is the empty set?

The empty set, also known as the null set, is a mathematical concept that represents a set with no elements.

2. Can the empty set be a subset of any set?

Yes, the empty set is a subset of every set. This is because every element in the empty set is also in the set it is being compared to.

3. Is the empty set the same as the set containing zero?

No, the empty set and the set containing zero are not the same. The empty set has no elements, while the set containing zero has one element, which is zero.

4. How is the empty set used in mathematics?

The empty set is used in mathematics to define certain concepts, such as the concept of a subset. It is also used in set theory and in various mathematical proofs.

5. What is the symbol for the empty set?

The symbol for the empty set is Ø or ∅, which is derived from the Danish and Norwegian letter Ø, meaning "empty".