End of electrons leaving metal

In summary, during a discussion about lightning rods, Zapper brought up a previous conversation and requested an apology from the other person for making assumptions. The person clarified that they were not being malicious and apologized if they caused any harm. The conversation then went off-topic and Zapper accused the person of not being able to stay on track. In response, the person explained that the lack of added charges in the case of a breakdown is due to the grounding of the objects and the field enhancement effect. They also mentioned that they have previously discussed this, but Zapper may not have accepted it due to their reliance on a high school textbook. The conversation ended with a reminder not to restart a locked thread.
Ulysees
ZapperZ said:
.. and how is this relevant to the standard lightning rod?

Zapper, you're so full of assumptions that it's impossible to communicate with you. Did I say it's relevant? It's an apology I think you owe me. I know it was NOT malicious, it probably just didn't compute so you ignored it, until you were reminded of high voltage coils. But apologies should come from the heart, otherwise they're not worth it.

I'll apologise to you too, if I did hurt you.

(EDIT: i meant assumptions, not assumption, sorry)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ulysees said:
Zapper, you're so full of assumptions that it's impossible to communicate with you. Did I say it's relevant? It's an apology I think you owe me. I know it was NOT malicious, it probably just didn't compute so you ignored it, until you were reminded of high voltage coils. But apologies should come from the heart, otherwise they're not worth it.

I'll apologise to you too, if I did hurt you.

(EDIT: i meant assumptions, not assumption, sorry)

Remember what I said about the thread going off in a gazillion direction? You have just shown the reason why. If it is NOT RELEVANT, why did you bring it up?

And when exactly did I say anything about not being able to add charges to anything? that would be silly! I mentioned about no added charges to the CASE THAT YOU ARE DISCUSSING, which is in the mechanism on such "corona discharge" from lightning rod! It appears that you have a problem in keeping on track with the topic, and comprehending what have been mentioned. Why are there no "added" charge in the case of a breakdown? Because most of these objects are GROUNDED. The accumulation of charges at the sharp point is due to FIELD ENHANCEMENT effect from the external field! I've mentioned this already, but of course, if this is not mentioned in your "high school textbook" that you accept like the Bible, then it doesn't matter, does it?

Please do not restart a locked thread.

Zz.

I understand the importance of making accurate and evidence-based statements. The statement "end of electrons leaving metal" is not scientifically accurate and can lead to misunderstandings. Electrons do not simply "end" when they leave a metal, but rather continue to exist and flow in a circuit.

In terms of relevance to the standard lightning rod, it is important to understand the flow of electrons in order to effectively protect a structure from lightning strikes. A lightning rod works by providing a low resistance pathway for the lightning to follow, allowing it to safely dissipate into the ground rather than causing damage to the building. Understanding the flow of electrons is crucial in designing and installing an effective lightning protection system.

1. What is the "end of electrons leaving metal" phenomenon?

The "end of electrons leaving metal" refers to the point at which all free electrons have been released from a metal surface due to an external stimulus, such as heat or light.

2. How does the end of electrons leaving metal occur?

The end of electrons leaving metal occurs through a process called electron emission, where electrons gain enough energy to become free from the metal surface.

3. What causes the end of electrons leaving metal?

The end of electrons leaving metal can be caused by various factors, including temperature increase, light exposure, and electric fields.

4. What are the applications of studying the end of electrons leaving metal?

Studying the end of electrons leaving metal can have various applications, such as in the development of new materials for electronics, understanding the behavior of metals under different conditions, and improving energy conversion processes.

5. How is the end of electrons leaving metal related to the work function of a metal?

The end of electrons leaving metal is directly related to the work function of a metal, which is the energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a metal. As the work function decreases, the end of electrons leaving metal occurs at lower energies.