Corralling Electrons: Wave-Particle Duality & Probability Waves

• Thread starter john.spidey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave-particle duality in electrons and whether the waves permeate all of space or if electrons have individual waves. The analogy of water in a gutter forming icicles is used to explain the collapsing probability wave and the relationship between the wave and particle states of electrons. However, it is cautioned that analogies should not be taken too seriously when it comes to quantum particles. The conversation ends with a question about the limits of large volume in our current understanding.
john.spidey
I apologize if I am missing a major point, but I thought it was worth a try.

If electrons are governed by wave-particle duality, do the waves permeate all of space? Does this mean that electrons we force into a particle, come from the same wave or do they have individual waves? And if so, how do you differentiate from any single infinitely large wave? Is it completely outside the realm of possibility that an electron, when probed, and therefore forced into its particle state, is akin to (bear with me on this) icicles formed on a leaky gutter.

In this analogy, the water inside the gutter would be the electron wave and the icicle the electron particle. When the electron wave is forced to "make a decision" it forms a point, much as a water filled gutter forces excess water to overflow and forms icicles (ignoring that gravity directs the formation of an icicle). Icicles, which form in certain spots along this hypothetical leaky gutter, act like a collapsing probability wave, which dictates the probabilities of where an electron should be. Where larger icicles form, the higher the probability of an electron being found at that location.

To wrap up, the water in the gutter and forming the icicles is all one entity, so is it possible that all particle electrons are just "icicle formations" from the same wave?

Thank you very much for your time and again, I apologize for my pedestrian understanding. I find physics to be immensely fascinating and I am trying to gain a larger grasp, in anyway possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
john.spidey said:
In this analogy, ...

One should be careful with analogies when it comes to quantum particles. Any reasonable/classical analogy may work for a few cases, but it will never work for all.

You can think of the wave version of a free electron as encompassing a large volume. And you can think of an electron corralled into a small area as being a particle. Usually, however, these scenarios are considered examples of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Waves being associated with momentum states, particles being associated with position states.

So an analogy is fine as long as you remember not to take it too seriously.

Thank you DrChinese. I have become accustomed in realizing that understanding quantum particles and their interactions/momentum states are not easily imagined or analogous to classical analogy. In our current understanding, does large volume mean infinite? Or are there limits?

Related to Corralling Electrons: Wave-Particle Duality & Probability Waves

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the concept that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means they can behave as a wave with characteristics like frequency and wavelength, as well as a particle with characteristics like mass and position.

2. How does probability factor into the behavior of electrons?

Probability waves, also known as wave functions, describe the probability of finding an electron at a specific location. This explains the unpredictable behavior of electrons, as their exact position and momentum cannot be determined simultaneously.

3. Can you explain the double-slit experiment and its significance in understanding wave-particle duality?

The double-slit experiment involves shooting a beam of particles, such as electrons, through two parallel slits. The resulting pattern on the other side shows interference patterns, similar to what is seen with waves. This demonstrates the dual nature of particles and the role of probability in their behavior.

4. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to wave-particle duality?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we know its momentum, and vice versa. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is related to the unpredictable behavior of particles described by wave-particle duality.

5. What practical applications does understanding wave-particle duality have?

Understanding wave-particle duality has led to advancements in technologies such as electron microscopy and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and other quantum technologies.