1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy change and work involved in lifting a ball

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    I was thinking about the work-energy theorem today and how it states that:

Wnet = ΔEkinetic

If this is true, then when a ball is moved upward a distance of d, the net work done is equal to zero because there is no change in kinetic energy.

Because: Work = Force x Displacement

for every infinitely small distance, dr, that the ball moves in the upward direction, the work done by the upward force is equal to F * dr and the work done by gravitational force is equal to -mg * dr.

However, according to the previous statement, net work done when the ball moves a distance of dr is zero, which means that F*dr = mg * dr and F = mg

Because Fnet = F - mg, there is no net force. If there is no net force, why does the ball move up?

I feel like I am missing a very crucial part of logic, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

For total energy, you need to include a potential term.

W = ΔEkinetic - ΔEpotential

4. Dec 18, 2011 #3
    This is wrong. The net work will always be the change in kinetic energy. No potential energy
    terms are involved.

5. Dec 18, 2011 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Note I dropped "net" from the work term in the equation I posted. I was relating total work done to total energy. If a 1kg ball is raised 1 meter, than 9.8 newton meters of total work is done. If I then release the ball, it's kinetic energy at the moment it falls back to it's original position will be 9.8 newton meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook