Energy changes of water from a reservoir

In summary: If not, then where does the water go?The problem lacks information, otherwise puts in too much conditions (no offense:smile:). The problem clearly states that the water flows through the pipe and through the turbines. But the examiner says the pipe is sealed off....does that mean the water can't flow through the pipe? If not, then where does the water go?The water must flow somewhere. I think the examiner is trying to say that the water gains energy due to pressure.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the water loses gravitational p.e. as it flows down, and since it flows through the pipe at a constant rate, v does not change, so k.e. remains the same. It left me stranded with B or D. The answer is B. What does elastic potential energy got to do with this situation? Does it got to do with increase in pressure? If so, how does pressure relate to elastic p.e.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 90951

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the water loses gravitational p.e. as it flows down, and since it flows through the pipe at a constant rate, v does not change, so k.e. remains the same. It left me stranded with B or D. The answer is B. What does elastic potential energy got to do with this situation? Does it got to do with increase in pressure? If so, how does pressure relate to elastic p.e.?
Maybe you should re-think your original answers.

Is the water in the reservoir traveling at any velocity before it enters the pipe? Is the K.E. of the water in the reservoir the same K.E. of the water flowing out of the pipe at the bottom? Is water an elastic substance?

Likes phoenix95
SteamKing said:
Maybe you should re-think your original answers.

Is the water in the reservoir traveling at any velocity before it enters the pipe? Is the K.E. of the water in the reservoir the same K.E. of the water flowing out of the pipe at the bottom? Is water an elastic substance?
K.E of water in the reservoir is 0, K.E. of water entering the pipe = K.E. of water flowing out of pipe. But the question is asking for the change in energy of the water as it flows from X to Y.. Not from the reservoir to bottom of pipe :/
Water is not an elastic substance

Janiceleong26 said:
K.E of water in the reservoir is 0
correct.
Janiceleong26 said:
K.E. of water entering the pipe = K.E. of water flowing out of pipe.
Not correct.:smile:

phoenix95 said:
correct.

Not correct.:smile:
Hmm..but I thought the water is flowing at a constant rate, which means constant v, thus constant K.E. throughout the pipe and to the turbine? :/

Answer this, does water loose gravitational potential energy during the flow?

If it does, then where does it re-appear? In what form? Then you may find out if the statement below is right or wrong. :smile:
Janiceleong26 said:
Hmm..but I thought the water is flowing at a constant rate,

A hint: You said that the kinetic energy of the water in the reservoir is zero. The water entering the point x should have no kinetic energy then.:smile:

phoenix95 said:
Answer this, does water loose gravitational potential energy during the flow?

If it does, then where does it re-appear? In what form? Then you may find out if the statement below is right or wrong. :smile:A hint: You said that the kinetic energy of the water in the reservoir is zero. The water entering the point x should have no kinetic energy then.:smile:
Yes it loses gravitational p.e.
It gains K.E.?
But the answer is B :redface:

Likes phoenix95
OK, This is what I thought...:smile:
Water is an incompressible fluid, which means it can't be deformed under stress. So elastic potential energy has no business here.
It definitely loses gravitational potential energy which has to appear as kinetic energy of the fluid.:smile:

Likes Janiceleong26
phoenix95 said:
OK, This is what I thought...:smile:
Water is an incompressible fluid, which means it can't be deformed under stress. So elastic potential energy has no business here.
It definitely loses gravitational potential energy which has to appear as kinetic energy of the fluid.:smile:
Yeah, that is what I thought too..
But the answer is B :oops:
This is the examiner report :

image.jpg

How does the increasing pressure between X and Y leads to a gain in elastic p.e. ?

Likes phoenix95
I can only explain it like this...:biggrin:
Let us assume that the water flows at constant rate along the pipe (which I think is not true o0), because the flow would be turbulent), then the kinetic energy is constant.
But the pipe is sealed off, so the water at the end of the pipe experiences pressure. I think this is what they referred to as 'Elastic potential energy being developed'.
Elastic potential energy is potential energy stored due to the deformation of an elastic object. Since water is incompressible there can be no such thing in this case. However, one can say that water develops energy due to pressure.
Or in other case the sealed end wall of the pipe is elastic. In this case the wall deforms and hence the elastic potential energy increases.:smile:

I think the problem lacks information, otherwise puts in too much conditions (no offense:smile:). The problem clearly states that the water flows through the pipe and through the turbines. But the examiner says the pipe is sealed off. :smile:

phoenix95 said:
I can only explain it like this...:biggrin:
Let us assume that the water flows at constant rate along the pipe (which I think is not true o0), because the flow would be turbulent), then the kinetic energy is constant.
But the pipe is sealed off, so the water at the end of the pipe experiences pressure. I think this is what they referred to as 'Elastic potential energy being developed'.
Elastic potential energy is potential energy stored due to the deformation of an elastic object. Since water is incompressible there can be no such thing in this case. However, one can say that water develops energy due to pressure.
Or in other case the sealed end wall of the pipe is elastic. In this case the wall deforms and hence the elastic potential energy increases.:smile:

I think the problem lacks information, otherwise puts in too much conditions (no offense:smile:). The problem clearly states that the water flows through the pipe and through the turbines. But the examiner says the pipe is sealed off. :smile:
Haha ok
Thanks for your time :smile:

1. What causes the energy changes of water from a reservoir?

The energy changes of water from a reservoir are primarily caused by the movement of water molecules, which is driven by temperature differences and the force of gravity.

2. How does the energy of water change as it flows from a reservoir?

The energy of water decreases as it flows from a reservoir due to friction and resistance from the surrounding environment. This results in a decrease in both kinetic and potential energy.

3. What factors affect the energy changes of water in a reservoir?

The energy changes of water in a reservoir are influenced by various factors such as the temperature of the water, the elevation or height of the reservoir, and the volume and flow rate of the water.

4. What are the different forms of energy involved in water from a reservoir?

The forms of energy involved in water from a reservoir include potential energy, which is the energy stored in the water due to its position or elevation, and kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion as the water flows or moves.

5. How do energy changes in water from a reservoir impact the surrounding environment?

The energy changes in water from a reservoir can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment. For example, the release of large amounts of water from a reservoir can lead to changes in temperature, erosion, and flooding downstream. It can also affect the habitats of plants and animals that depend on the water source.