Energy conditions and non-physical phenomena

• I
  • Thread starter accdd
  • Start date
accdd
Is the inability to exceed the speed of light a consequence of general relativity?
Is the fact that no energy is created from empty space a consequence of general relativity?
Or are they both constructions deriving from the energy conditions imposed to have solutions to Einstein's equations that are compatible with observations?

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is the inability to exceed the speed of light a consequence of general relativity?
You need to define what you mean by "exceeding the speed of light".
Is the fact that no energy is created from empty space a consequence of general relativity?
You need to define what you mean by "no energy is created from empty space".

Likes vanhees71 and accdd
accdd
Locally, nothing can exceed the speed of light.
If I take a small volume I don't expect it to generate stuff out of a vacuum.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Locally, nothing can exceed the speed of light.
This in essence follows from 4-momentum being non-spacelike.

If I take a small volume I don't expect it to generate stuff out of a vacuum.
This, in the form ##\nabla_\mu T^{\mu\nu}## is a direct consequence of varying the Einstein-Hilbert action with an additional term to describe the matter fields (and thereby generating the stress-energy tensor). The Einstein field equations resulting from varying the Einstein-Hilbert action are on the form ##G_{\mu\nu} = C T_{\mu\nu}##, where ##C## is a constant and the divergence of the Einstein tensor ##G_{\mu\nu}## is equal to zero.

However, "global" energy is generally not conserved in general relativity as demonstrated, e.g., by FLRW cosmologies.

accdd
Sean Carroll in Spacetime and Geometry writes (4.6, last section):
[Energy conditions ... serve to prevent other properties that we think of as "unphysical", such as energy propagating faster than the speed of light...]
What does this means?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I suggest looking at the basic descriptions of different energy conditions in relativity. They are all concerned with the stress-energy tensor and are at varying degrees of strictness. For example, look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_condition under "Mathematical statement".

The statement that relates to the flow of energy is the dominant energy condition which relates to ##T_{ab} Y^b## where ##Y## is a time- or light-like vector field. The resulting 4-vector describes energy density and flow.

Suggested for: Energy conditions and non-physical phenomena

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies