Why does the equation E=m*c2 not require any condition of matter?

In summary, the mass deficit occurs for all interactions, but it is usually pretty small and only noticeable for very strong interactions, like those involving the strong nuclear force.
suhagsindur
This is question about equation E=m*c2. Why this equation does not required any condition of matter?
Case 1: I take two mole (4 Kg)H2 & one mole(32 Kg)O2 & make water & get energy.
2H2 (4 Kg Hydrogen)+O2 (32 Kg Oxygen)=2H2O(36 Kg of water)+ 572 KJ Energy
Now I convert this water into energy by equation E=m*c2.
Total energy I get is QTotal= (36*c2) + 572 KJ Energy.

»»» Now instead of I convert hydrogen & oxygen into water, I directly convert both gases into energy so total Energy I getting is,
QTotal= m*c2 =(36*c2) Only.
This energy is lesser as compared to first one by amount of “572 KJ Energy”.

Case 2: I have one Kg of boiled water at 100 degree centigrade.
Now I extract 418.7 KJ energy from the water & make it of zero degrees centigrade.
Water at 100 C - 418.7 KJ Energy =Water at 0 C.
Now I convert this zero degree water into energy,
Total energy I getting is,
QTotal=1*c2+418.7 KJ energy

»»» Now I directly convert boiling water into energy,
I getting energy is
QTotal=m*c2=1*c2.
This energy is lesser as compared to first one by amount of “418.7 KJ Energy”.

Why it is occurs? Why energy librated is different for the same initial & final condition of mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
suhagsindur said:
Case 1: I take two mole (4 Kg)H2 & one mole(32 Kg)O2 & make water & get energy.
2H2 (4 Kg Hydrogen)+O2 (32 Kg Oxygen)=2H2O(36 Kg of water)+ 572 KJ Energy
Actually, you will get only 35.9999999999936 kg of water. Everything else then works out fine. This difference in mass between the products and the reactants is called the mass deficit and is closely related to the binding energy. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_energy. The mass deficit occurs for all interactions, although as you can see above it is usually pretty small and only noticeable for very strong interactions, like those involving the strong nuclear force.

DaleSpam said:
Actually, you will get only 35.9999999999936 kg of water. Everything else then works out fine. This difference in mass between the products and the reactants is called the mass deficit and is closely related to the binding energy. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_energy. The mass deficit occurs for all interactions, although as you can see above it is usually pretty small and only noticeable for very strong interactions, like those involving the strong nuclear force.

This means that boiling water possesses higher mass then cold water by extremely small amount which is neglected for practical purpose.
OK, Thanks for giving answer.

1. What is energy conservation and why is it important?

Energy conservation is the practice of using energy efficiently and avoiding waste. It is important because it helps to reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, lower energy costs, and decrease the negative environmental impacts of energy production.

2. What is the equation E=mc2 and how is it related to energy conservation?

E=mc2 is an equation developed by Albert Einstein that relates mass (m) and energy (E). It states that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared. This equation is important in energy conservation because it shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and that even small amounts of mass can produce large amounts of energy.

3. How can we conserve energy in our daily lives?

There are many ways to conserve energy in our daily lives. Some simple ways include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and reducing our use of heating and cooling systems. We can also conserve energy by using public transportation or carpooling, and by supporting renewable energy sources.

4. What are the benefits of energy conservation?

The benefits of energy conservation include reduced energy costs, decreased reliance on non-renewable energy sources, and a healthier environment. Conserving energy also helps to reduce carbon emissions and combat climate change.

5. How does energy conservation contribute to sustainable development?

Energy conservation is a key component of sustainable development, which aims to meet present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. By conserving energy, we can reduce our impact on the environment and preserve resources for future generations to use. It also helps to create a more stable and sustainable energy system for the future.