Energy required to heat water

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the energy required for a family's daily hot water usage, given the temperature settings and consumption rate. The solution is found using the equation Q=mCΔT and the conversion factor from kJ to kWh. The error in the calculation is identified, leading to the correct answer of $1.35/day.
miniradman

Homework Statement

A family uses 150 L of hot water each day. The hot water system is set to 75°C and the
supply water has a temperature of 20°C. How much energy is required? If the hot water
consumption was spread out evenly over the whole day (24 hrs), what is the total daily cost
(assuming 14 c/kWh)?

Homework Equations

[itex]Q=mC \Delta T[/itex]

[itex]C = 4.184 kJ/kg (HeatingCapacity)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all, I have this question and I thought I was doing it correctly, but for some reason I'm not getting the required answer.
[itex]density of water = 998 [/itex]

[itex]Volume = 0.15 m^{3} [/itex]

[itex]m = 149.7 kg [/itex]

[itex]\Delta T = 55 [/itex]

[itex] Q=(149.7)(4.184)(55) [/itex]
[itex] Q=34424.26 kJ [/itex]

[itex] seconds/day = 86400s [/itex]

[itex] p = \frac{dQ}{dT} = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta T} [/itex]

[itex] p = \frac{34424.26 kJ }{86400s}[/itex]

[itex]p = 0.39843kW[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 0.39843kW (3600)[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 1434kWh[/itex]

[itex]cost = (0.14c) (1434kWh)[/itex]

[itex]cost = 200c = $2.00[/itex]

However the answer states that it is $1.35/day

I checked my work three times through, but I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of something which is stopping me from getting the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
miniradman said:
[itex]p = 0.39843kW[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 0.39843kW (3600)[/itex]

[itex]p kWh = 1434kWh[/itex]
This is where you go wrong. In that second line, you are actually calculating how much energy is used every hour:
$$
0.39843\ \textrm{kW} \times \frac{3600\ \textrm{s}}{\textrm h} = 1434\ \textrm{kJ/h}
$$
Instead, find the conversion factor to go from kJ to kWh:
$$
\begin{align}
1 \textrm{kWh} &= 1 \textrm{kW} \times \textrm{h} \\
&= 1 \frac{\textrm{kJ}}{ \textrm{s}} \times \textrm{h} \\
&= 1 \frac{\textrm{kJ}}{ \textrm{s}} \times \textrm{h} \times \frac{3600\ \textrm{s}}{\textrm h} \\
&= 3600\ \textrm{kJ}
\end{align}
$$

Ahh, I plugged that conversion factor in after I found Q, then got $1.33... close enough?

Cheers for the response

1. How does the temperature of water affect the amount of energy required to heat it?

The temperature of water directly affects the amount of energy required to heat it. As the temperature of water increases, so does the amount of energy needed to raise it to a higher temperature. This is because the molecules in hot water are already moving faster and require more energy to increase their speed and temperature further.

2. Does the type of container used to heat water affect the amount of energy required?

Yes, the type of container used to heat water can impact the amount of energy required. Materials such as metal and glass are better conductors of heat, meaning they require less energy to heat water compared to materials such as plastic or ceramic. This is because they are able to transfer heat more efficiently to the water.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of water and why is it important?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. It is an important factor to consider when calculating the energy required to heat water because it determines how much energy is needed to change the temperature of water by a certain amount. Water has a high specific heat capacity, meaning it requires a significant amount of energy to change its temperature.

4. How does the amount of water being heated affect the energy required?

The amount of water being heated has a direct impact on the amount of energy required. As the volume of water increases, so does the amount of energy needed to heat it. This is because more molecules need to be energized to increase the overall temperature of the water. It is important to consider the volume of water when calculating the energy required to heat it.

5. Does the initial temperature of the water affect the energy required to heat it to a specific temperature?

Yes, the initial temperature of the water does affect the energy required to heat it. If the water is already at a higher temperature, less energy will be required to reach a specific temperature compared to water that is at a lower starting temperature. This is because the molecules in hot water are already moving faster and require less energy to reach a higher temperature compared to colder water.