Understanding Energy in a Wave

In summary: S. In summary, the intensity of a wave can be found by multiplying its energy by the area it passes through. The watt is a unit of power, which is the movement of energy. A spherical source produces evenly distributed waves, so the farther away from the source, the lower the intensity of the sound. The intensity at a distance can be calculated by dividing the energy by the surface area of the sphere surrounding the source.
T@P
i just learned this so don't be shy about telling me i have no idea what I am talking about;

anyway if you have a wave, say sound, you can find the intensity of the wave, say I

now I is in watts/meters^2 so in the example of sound you can find the amount of energy that the wave makes(?), has(?) by multiplying by the area that the wave goes through (for example a window)

my question is what exactly is the "energy in a wave", and can someone exaplain why the wave can have different "energies" by going through larger openenings(?)

also I am not even sure if there is such a thing as the "energy of wave" so :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
The measure of intensity -- watts per square meter -- has nothing to do with openings.

The watt is a unit of power. Power is effectively the movement of energy; one watt is defined as one joule moved per second. The joule is a unit of energy.

A simple spherical source produces spherically symmetric waves which spread out from it. If you're close to the source, the sound is very loud; if you're far away, the sound is quieter. If the source radiates a constant amount of energy in the form of sound every second -- say, it generates one joule of sound energy per second (that's one watt) -- that energy will be spread over the entire sphere surrounding it.

A sphere, of course, has a surface area. If you place a listening device one meter away from your one-watt sound source, you can imagine it on the surface of a 1-meter radius sphere surrounding the source. The sound energy is spread over the entire surface area of that sphere, which has a surface area of almost 13 square meters. Thus, the sound intensity at a distance of one meter is one watt spread over 13 square meters, or about 1/13 watt per square meter.

If you place the listening device 10 meters away instead, the sphere surrounding the source is now 10 meters in radius, and has a surface area of almost 1300 square meters. The sound intensity there is only one watt spread over 1300 square meters, or about 1/1300 watt per square meter.

If you make your listening device exactly one square meter in size, it will intercept about 1/1300 watts of power when placed 10 meters away from your source. If you make a larger detector, say one that is 10 square meters in size, it will intercept ten times as much of the sound energy.

- Warren

1. What is the definition of a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and matter, transferring energy from one point to another without permanently displacing the medium. It can be described as a repeating pattern of motion or vibration.

2. How is energy related to waves?

Waves carry energy through the movement of particles in the medium they are traveling through. The energy of a wave is directly proportional to its amplitude, or height, and its frequency, or number of cycles per second. The higher the amplitude and frequency, the more energy the wave carries.

3. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical and electromagnetic. Mechanical waves, such as sound waves and water waves, require a medium to travel through. Electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, can travel through a vacuum.

4. How does energy transfer occur in a wave?

In a mechanical wave, energy transfer occurs through the vibration of particles in the medium. As one particle vibrates, it transfers its energy to the neighboring particles, causing a chain reaction. In an electromagnetic wave, energy transfer occurs through the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields.

5. What factors affect the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave is affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density and elasticity. It is also affected by the wavelength and frequency of the wave. In general, the denser and more elastic the medium, the faster the wave will travel. Additionally, waves with shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies tend to travel faster.