Energy in different inertial frames

In summary: If an asteroid hits the Earth then that is a totally inelastic collision. Kinetic energy is lost. Using conservation of momentum tells you how much kinetic energy is lost.
Oliver321
Lets neglect conservation of momentum and assume that all frames of reference are inertial. Now imagine three objects: the sun, the Earth and an asteroid. In the inertial frame of the sun, Earth and asteroid are flying towards each other ( velocitys v and -v).
Now imagine you are standing at the surface of the earth: you see the asteroid flying towards you with 2v. So after some time the asteroid hits the Earth and all of its kinetic energy (K=2mv^2) gets converted into thermal energy (let’s assume the Earth stands still after the impact which implies that also the asteroid stands still). The temperature of the Earth rises.
Now look at this scenario from perspective of the sun:
Earth hast velocity -v and the asteroid has velocity v (so a velocity difference of 2v). They both hit each other. In the first moment the asteroid gets slowed down to zero (converting its kinetic energy in thermal energy) and in the exact same moment the asteroid gets accelerated to the velocity of the Earth (wich costs energy). But that would implie that really no kinetic energy gets converted into thermal energy, because the kinetic energy of the Earth and the asteroid are the same before and after the impact. Only the velocity of the asteroid points in the other direction. Nevertheless kinetic energy could not be negative so the direction plays no role.

Where is my mistake?

Thank you for your help!
CBD0CF5D-3EE8-4B0A-B074-B3CA696CB6A9.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
If momentum is conserved, then the change in kinetic energy is the same in all frames.

Ignoring momentum is your mistake.

PeroK said:
If momentum is conserved, then the change in kinetic energy is the same in all frames.

Ignoring momentum is your mistake.

But shouldn’t it be, that energy for its own is conserved? Is there something that connects energy and momentum deeply? I thought both conservation laws arise from different properties of our universe (noether theorem).

Oliver321 said:
But shouldn’t it be, that energy for its own is conserved? Is there something that connects energy and momentum deeply? I thought both conservation laws arise from different properties of our universe (noether theorem).
Energy is conserved but not kinetic energy alone. Kinetic energy may be converted to thermal energy for example.

Special relativity unifies energy and momentum in a beautiful way.

Likes vanhees71 and Oliver321
Oliver321 said:
Lets neglect conservation of momentum and assume that all frames of reference are inertial.
How do you define "inertial frame of reference", if conservation of momentum doesn't apply?

Likes Oliver321
PeroK said:
Energy is conserved but not kinetic energy alone. Kinetic energy may be converted to thermal energy for example.

Special relativity unifies energy and momentum in a beautiful way.

So I don’t get a right result if I don’t consider momentum?

A.T. said:
How do you define "inertial frame of reference", if conservation of momentum doesn't apply?

That’s a good question. That’s probably not possible. Nevertheless it is a bit confusing for me, that I can not get the right awnser without respecting conservation of momentum.

Oliver321 said:
So I don’t get a right result if I don’t consider momentum?
That’s a good question. That’s probably not possible. Nevertheless it is a bit confusing for me, that I can not get the right awnser without respecting conservation of momentum.

If an asteroid hits the Earth then that is a totally inelastic collision. Kinetic energy is lost. Using conservation of momentum tells you how much kinetic energy is lost.

If you do not consider momentum then you do not know the final velocity of the Earth after the collision.

Likes vanhees71
Oliver321 said:
Nevertheless it is a bit confusing for me, that I can not get the right awnser without respecting conservation of momentum.
First you have to ask a question that is not self-contradictory.

1. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does energy behave in different inertial frames?

According to the principle of relativity, the laws of physics, including the conservation of energy, are the same in all inertial frames. This means that the total energy of a system will remain constant, regardless of the frame of reference it is observed from.

3. Can energy be transferred between inertial frames?

Yes, energy can be transferred between inertial frames through interactions between objects. For example, when two objects collide, the total energy of the system may change, but the overall energy will still be conserved.

4. How does the speed of an object affect its energy in different inertial frames?

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the energy of an object is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as an object's speed increases, so does its energy. However, this relationship is only noticeable at very high speeds, close to the speed of light.

5. Can the energy of an object be measured differently in different inertial frames?

No, the energy of an object will be the same regardless of the frame of reference it is measured from. However, the way in which the energy is observed or measured may differ between frames due to the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.