Energy of a String: Understanding the Various Forms of Energy in String Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of energy possessed by strings, specifically if it is kinetic energy or some other form of energy. Some suggest that the string itself is not made of energy, but rather is a point of space-time with vibrations. The concept of potential energy is also brought up in relation to the strings. It is mentioned that the energy of a string is a sum of both kinetic and potential energy. Overall, it is concluded that there is no clear understanding of what a string is made of, but its behavior and interactions can be described through mathematical models.
Legend-of-Nub
Hi I'm new to Physics Forum but not Physics. I am well versed with the theories of Quantum Mechanics and String Theory. And I have a question, exactly what "type" of energy do strings posses? In other words when we say a string is a "loop" of energy what kind of energy are we referring to; Kinetic, electromagnetic, electric, nuclear or something else? And is there any "generic" state of energy. I mean can we have energy in no specific form just as energy itself or "pure energy"? Thanks for all your help.

Legend-of-Nub.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's kinetic energy of a string.

humanino said:
It's kinetic energy of a string.

But if it's the "kinetic energy of a string" you're implying that the string itself is not made of energy but rather it is made of something else that possesses kinetic energy or a form of energy. How is that so? Thanks for all your help.

No, I'm just saying that this is the formal lagrangian of a string with purely kinematical energy. I don't need to assume that the string is made of anything, I don't know what it is made of, and I think stating "it is made of pure energy" is a useless, void, affirmation (it is neither wrong nor true, and most importantly it does not help me whatsoever). What is remarkable, is that you get interactions from a purely free lagrangian. This is quite different from gauge fields in the standard model.

Let me to consider an spring moving freely in space. Do you claim that its free hamiltonian is "the kinetic energy of the spring"? It is, as a minimum, a bizarre name. But I agree that in any case the formal name is useless as a physics concept. And even more if you consider the relativistic aspects.

Well, in the simple example of the bosonic open string the Polyakov action reads

[tex]S_P = -\frac{1}{4 \pi \alpha'}\int_W d \tau d \sigma \sqrt{ \gamma}\gamma^{ab} \partial_a X^{\mu} \partial_b X_{\mu}[/tex]

and the Lagrangian contains the standard kinetic term. I don't really think there is a good classical analogy of the kinetic term in an quantum theoretic action.

In a non-relativistic terminology, only the time-derivative (I am talking about the world-sheet time tau) of X is naturally interpreted as kinetic energy, while the derivative with respect to sigma is more naturally interpreted as a potential energy. Hence, the energy of the string is a sum of the kinetic and the potential energy.

Demystifier said:
In a non-relativistic terminology, only the time-derivative (I am talking about the world-sheet time tau) of X is naturally interpreted as kinetic energy, while the derivative with respect to sigma is more naturally interpreted as a potential energy. Hence, the energy of the string is a sum of the kinetic and the potential energy.
I never saw it that way, and counting the number of derivative in time (two) does not match here (only one).

In relativistic physics, the kinetic action is given by the length of the worldline, here the kinetic action is given by the surface (generalized length) of the worldsheet.

But again, to me all that matters is the difference between free and interacting theory of point particle vs string. It was especially relevant in the early days of string theory to explain hadronic duality and the double counting of s-channel and t-channel diagrams.

So, really nobody knows exactly what a string is made of, right? What if it isn't actually made of anything, but is a vibrating point of space-time?

1. What is the energy of a string?

The energy of a string refers to the potential and kinetic energy stored in a string when it is stretched or compressed. It is also known as elastic potential energy.

2. How is the energy of a string calculated?

The energy of a string can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 kx^2, where E is the energy, k is the string's spring constant, and x is the displacement of the string.

3. What factors affect the energy of a string?

The energy of a string is affected by its length, material, and tension. Longer strings have more energy, while stiffer materials and higher tension increase the energy as well.

4. Can the energy of a string be converted into other forms?

Yes, the energy of a string can be converted into other forms of energy, such as sound or heat, when the string is plucked or struck.

5. How is the energy of a string related to music?

The energy of a string is crucial in producing musical notes and tones. When a string is plucked, it vibrates at a particular frequency, which corresponds to a specific musical note. The energy of the string determines the loudness and quality of the sound produced.