Energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves

In summary: This redistribution can make it appear as if the energy is "doubled" or "halved" in certain areas.In summary, when two laser diodes are placed in an open space and separated by a specific distance, their beams intersect and add constructively at one point, resulting in the interference of the two waves. This can lead to a concentration of energy at that point, making it seem like there is twice the total energy of the two waves combined. However, this is due to the redistribution of energy and does not violate the conservation of energy principle.
O.J.
Suppose we have two laser diodes that are made to transmit light at the same wavelength and intensity. Also, suppose that we place them in an open space and separate them by a distance such that when their generated beams intersect at one point in space and one point only. Further suppose that they add constructively at that point.

Laser 1 = A sin wt
Laser 2 = A sin wt

Laser 1 + Laser 2 = 2 A sin wt

However the sum of the energies of the two waves does not equal the energy of the sum of the total. Can someone clarify that? It's been bugging me for a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
Long story short, energy from an optical (electromagnetic) source is proportional to the irradiance at the point of measurement, in your case the point of constructive interference. The irradiance at the point of measurement is given by I_total = I_1 + I_2 + 2*sqrt(I_1*I_2)*cos(phase_1 - phase_2) where I_1 and I_2 are the irradiance of source 1 and 2 respectively. So the energy can actually be 4 times the original power of the source if I_1 = I_2 and w_1 = w_2, this is due to the phenomena of superposititon.

Brief source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_principle

But a mechanics book like Taylor will have a pretty thorough expose on the topic.

Cheers,
IR

The energy (or power really) at the point of interference is twice the total energy/power of the two waves. How does that work in light of conservation of energy?

The interference take place in a finite area of space not at a geometric point.
You will have maxima and minima of interference. In some areas the energy is less than the sum of the two, in others is larger.
The total energy (over the whole area) is just the sum of the two energies.

Lasers put out a certain definite (more or less) power over a certain amount of time or space (depending on the situation or what you are interested in). Think of the laser as a hose with a fixed flow, ignoring the incompressibility of water, you can think of interference as a repositioning of power sort of like taking the hose and running the water through a funnel which concentrates the flow of water. So a fixed amount gets concentrated to a more specific area, this is what interference does.

Cheers,
IR

My question is very fundamental: adding two sinusoids in phase results in a sinusoid with twice the total energy of both sinusoids combined according to how we calculate power as A^2/2 with A being the amplitude. None of this answers the extremely fundamental question of how is energy conserved??!

The "fundamental" answer is that if you double the amplitude of a wave, the power increases by a factor of 4.
This has nothing to do with conservation of energy. It's a "fundamental" property of waves. You need to use 4 times more power to double the amplitude.

If you are thinking of "interference" of two waves that are in phase everywhere this simply means that you have a single source and you just double the amplitude.

If you have two separate waves, produced by two sources, you cannot overlap them in phase everywhere in space. You will have maxima as well as minima.

To put it another way, interference doesn't destroy or create energy. It simply redistributes the energy. Some of the energy is "moved" to other parts of the wave, from where it would have been if there had been no interference.

1. What is the energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves?

The energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves is the total energy that results from combining two individual sinusoidal waves. This energy is determined by the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the two waves.

2. How is the energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves calculated?

The energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves can be calculated using the formula E = A1^2 + A2^2, where A1 and A2 are the amplitudes of the two waves. This formula assumes that the two waves have the same frequency and are in phase with each other.

3. Can the energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves ever be negative?

No, the energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves is always positive. This is because energy is a scalar quantity and cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the phase difference between two waves affect the energy of their summation?

The phase difference between two waves can affect the energy of their summation. If the two waves are in phase, meaning they have the same starting point, the energy of their summation will be at its maximum. If the two waves are completely out of phase, meaning they have opposite starting points, their energy of summation will be at its minimum.

5. Why is it important to understand the energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves?

Understanding the energy of the summation of two sinusoidal waves is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and telecommunications. It allows us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of waves in various systems, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.