How Far Does the Fragment Land After a Mid-Air Explosion?

In summary, the problem involves a shell being shot with an initial velocity of 20 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal. At the top of the trajectory, the shell explodes into two fragments of equal mass. Using the conservation of energy, the velocity at the top of the trajectory is found to be 22.36 m/s. To find the total distance traveled, conservation of momentum is used to find the new velocity of the half of the shell still moving horizontally. This is then treated as a typical projectile motion problem to find the additional distance traveled.
cb
I need some help with the problem.

A shell is shot with an initial velocity v0 of 20 m/s, at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal. At the top of the trajectory, the shell explodeds into two fragments of equal mass. One fragment, whose speed immediately after the explosion is zero, falls vertically. How far from the gun does the other fragment land, assuming that the terrain is level and the air drag is negligible

First, I labled three parts of the trajectory.

1. At the initial position

K= (1/2) m * v^2
U = 0

2. At the max height of the trajectory

K = (1/2) (m/2) * v^2 ----> Because the shell exploded in half
U = (m/2) * g * h

3. At the end of the the trajectory

K = 0
U = 0

Then using the conservation of energy from points 1 to 2 I found the velocity at point 2 to be 22.36 m/s.

Now I have to finish the problem and find the total distance traveled. Can someone check my work up to now and give me some advice on how to find the total distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
the kinetic energy does not equal 0 at the end of the trajectory unless you are willing to calculate the work done by the Earth in slowing the piece to rest. Consider the moment that it touches the earth, not the impact.

True, but now I still have to solve for the total distance traveled.

I was thinking about finding the height with the equation h= v0^2* sin^2(alpha) / (2*g). But since the mass is cut in half, will that make the equation invalid?

If that is true I can find the distance for the first half. But I'm not sure how I would find the distance for the second half.

Use conservation of momentum to find out the new velocity of the half of the shell still moving horizontally. Keep in mind you started out with some P=Mv (where v is the horizontal component of the velocity). Now you have P = mv1 + mv2, where m = M/2. P must be the same in both situations and you already know v1 is zero (at the instant of the explosion). Find v2.

So now you have the new velocity of the shell piece and, treating this now as a typical projectile motion problem, you should be able to find the additional distance traveled.

FAQ: How Far Does the Fragment Land After a Mid-Air Explosion?

1. What is a trajectory problem?

A trajectory problem refers to a situation in which the path of an object or system is unknown or needs to be determined. This can involve factors such as velocity, acceleration, and other variables that affect the movement of the object.

2. How do you solve a trajectory problem?

To solve a trajectory problem, you first need to gather all the relevant information about the object or system, such as its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. Then, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to calculate the object's trajectory.

3. What are some common techniques for solving trajectory problems?

Some common techniques for solving trajectory problems include using vector analysis, calculus, and computer simulations. These methods allow for more accurate and precise calculations, especially for complex systems or objects with changing variables.

4. What are the real-world applications of solving trajectory problems?

Solving trajectory problems has many practical applications, such as predicting the movement of projectiles in physics or determining the flight path of a spacecraft in aerospace engineering. It can also be used in sports, such as calculating the trajectory of a golf ball or a basketball.

5. What are some challenges in solving trajectory problems?

One of the main challenges in solving trajectory problems is accounting for all the variables and factors that may affect the object's movement. This can include air resistance, wind, and other external forces. Additionally, using advanced mathematical techniques may be necessary for more complex systems, which can be challenging for those without a strong mathematical background.

Back