Energy raising/lowering operators, algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the demonstration of the commutation relation for operators \hat{x} and \hat{p}. The goal is to show that \hat{H} = (\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} + \frac{1}{2})\hbar w, given the commutation relation [\hat{a},\hat{a}^{+}]=1. The conversation includes a calculation attempt, which results in an incorrect answer due to not considering the proper manipulation of the entities aa^{+} + a^{+}a. The correct solution is \hat{H} = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2}(aa^+ + a^+a).
raintrek
[tex]\hat{x} = \left(\frac{\hbar}{2wm}\right)^{1/2}(\hat{a} + \hat{a}^{+})[/tex]

[tex]\hat{p} = -i\left(\frac{\hbar wm}{2}\right)^{1/2}(\hat{a} - \hat{a}^{+})[/tex]

I'm trying to demonstrate that

[tex]\hat{H} = (\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} + \frac{1}{2})\hbar w[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{H} = \frac{1}{2m} \hat{p}^{2} + \frac{mw^{2}}{2} \hat{x}^{2}[/tex]

Given the commutation relation:

[tex][\hat{a},\hat{a}^{+}]=1[/tex]

However I seem to have too many twos! Here's my attempt:

[tex]\hat{H} = \left[\frac{1}{2m} \frac{\hbar wm}{2} (-\hat{a}^{2} + \hat{a}\hat{a}^{+} + \hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} - \hat{a}^{+2})\right] + \left[\frac{mw^{2}}{2} \frac{\hbar}{2wm} (\hat{a}^{2} + \hat{a}\hat{a}^{+} + \hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} + \hat{a}^{+2})\right] [/tex]

[tex]\hat{H} = \frac{\hbar w}{4} (1 + 2\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a})[/tex]

Can anyone point out where I've gone wrong? Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\hat{H} = \left[\frac{1}{2m} \frac{\hbar wm}{2} (-\hat{a}^{2} + \hat{a}\hat{a}^{+} + \hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} - \hat{a}^{+2})\right] + \left[\frac{mw^{2}}{2} \frac{\hbar}{2wm} (\hat{a}^{2} + \hat{a}\hat{a}^{+} + \hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} + \hat{a}^{+2})\right] [/tex]

is not [tex]\hat{H} = \frac{\hbar w}{4} (1 + 2\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a})[/tex]

but:
[tex] \frac{\hbar \omega}{2}(aa^+ + a^+a) [/tex]

you know that [tex] aa^+ - a^+a = 1 [/tex], how can you manipulate [tex]aa^+ + a^+a[/tex] to become what you are looking for? ([tex]\hat{H} = (\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a} + \frac{1}{2})\hbar w[/tex]
)

HINT: Try adding and substract the same entity, 3 = 3 +1 -1

Last edited:
Ha, my own stupid fault. I'd only taken one lot of [tex]aa^{+} + a^{+}a[/tex] from the factorising! Thanks malawi! Been a long day hehe

raintrek said:
Ha, my own stupid fault. I'd only taken one lot of [tex]aa^{+} + a^{+}a[/tex] from the factorising! Thanks malawi! Been a long day hehe

I've been there myself 1000times ;) Good luck!

1. What are energy raising and lowering operators?

Energy raising and lowering operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to change the energy level of a system. They are represented by symbols and equations that describe how the energy of a particle or system can be increased or decreased.

2. How do energy raising and lowering operators work?

Energy raising operators increase the energy of a system by a fixed amount, while energy lowering operators decrease the energy by the same amount. They do this by acting on the wavefunction of a particle or system, changing its energy level and resulting in a different state.

3. What is the algebra of energy raising and lowering operators?

Energy raising and lowering operators follow specific algebraic rules, including commutation and anti-commutation relations. These rules describe how the operators interact with each other and can be used to solve equations and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How are energy raising and lowering operators used in quantum mechanics?

Energy raising and lowering operators are fundamental tools in quantum mechanics and are used to describe the energy levels and transitions of particles and systems. They are especially useful in studying the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

5. Can energy raising and lowering operators be applied to classical systems?

No, energy raising and lowering operators are specific to the principles of quantum mechanics and cannot be applied to classical systems. They are based on the concept of quantization, which does not apply to classical physics.