1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy State Probability Particle in a Box

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the probability of obtaining En for a particle in a box with wave function

[itex]\Psi[/itex](x) = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{30}{L^{5}}}[/itex](x)(L-x) for 0 < x < L

and [itex]\Psi[/itex](x) = 0 for everywhere else

is given by

|cn|2 = 240/(n6[itex]\pi[/itex]6)[1-(-1)n]2

2. Relevant equations

cn = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex][itex]^{*}_{n}[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex](x)dx

The probability is cn squared.

Shouldn't have to use eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the integral from (2) and used the given uppercase Psi and used the sqrt(2/L)sin(n*pi*x/L) lowercase psi (conjugate), from 0 to L.

The integral quickly turned messy with integration by parts and such.

I would like to know if I am on the right track here... If I am, I will just work through the integral until I get the right answer.

I'm hoping there is a much easier way to do this.

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry this is a repost from another section. I wasn't getting any responses from the Intro Physics section so thought I would try here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Yep, you're on the right track. Yes, the integral takes a little bit of work, but it is of the form
    [tex]\int(\text{polynomial in }u)\sin u\;\mathrm{d}u[/tex]
    and those integrals are doable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook