Energy-time versus time bin DOF

In summary: Physical Review Letters, vol. 111, no. 153602 (2016)In summary, this article discusses how to measure the energy-time and orbital angular momentum DOFs of photons using coherent ultrafast measurements.
Armchair
With respect to entanglement, is the energy-time degree of freedom continuous whilst the time bin DOF is discrete or is there some other difference (if any) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Armchair said:
the energy-time degree of freedom continuous whilst the time bin DOF is discrete

What do you mean by "the energy-time degree of freedom" and "the time bin DOF"?

PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by "the energy-time degree of freedom" and "the time bin DOF"?
The means by which information can be encoded when using photons to hold qubits as part of hyperentanglement schemes.

Armchair said:
The means by which information can be encoded when using photons to hold qubits as part of hyperentanglement schemes.

Sorry, this doesn't help. Do you have a reference? (Textbook or peer-reviewed paper.)

PeterDonis said:
Sorry, this doesn't help. Do you have a reference? (Textbook or peer-reviewed paper.)
Discussion and Summary Section of the following refers to both terms.

JOURNAL ARTICLE
Complete hyperentangled Bell state analysis for polarization and time-bin hyperentanglement
Li X, Ghose S

Optics Express, vol. 24, issue 16 (2016) p. 18388

Armchair said:
JOURNAL ARTICLE

It looks like this is the preprint on arxiv:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1601.02032

I see the term "time-bin degree of freedom" used there (though I'll have to read through the article when I get a chance to understand what they mean by it), but I don't see the term "energy-time degree of freedom" anywhere in the article. So I still don't know what you mean by that term.

In the first part of the particular section I mentioned-

''...Hyperentanglement has attracted much attention in recent years due to its promising applica- tions. Besides the traditional DOFs of photons, the energy-time and orbital angular momentum DOFs also have been considered in constructing hyperentanglement [63, 64]...''

thanks for your feedback.

Armchair said:
In the first part of the particular section I mentioned

Ok, this just references some other papers; the terminology isn't explained in this paper, as far as I can tell. My initial reaction is that this looks like an open area of research, so discussion of it here will probably be limited.

Armchair said:
Discussion and Summary Section of the following refers to both terms.

JOURNAL ARTICLE
Complete hyperentangled Bell state analysis for polarization and time-bin hyperentanglement
Li X, Ghose S

Optics Express, vol. 24, issue 16 (2016) p. 18388
This paper may help. Seems to be in a proper journal.

https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.153602

Coherent Ultrafast Measurement of Time-Bin Encoded Photons
John M. Donohue,Megan Agnew, Jonathan Lavoie, and Kevin J. Resch

What is the concept of energy-time versus time bin DOF?

The concept of energy-time versus time bin DOF refers to the trade-off between the precision of time measurement and the precision of energy measurement in a physical system. In other words, it is the relationship between the amount of information that can be obtained about the energy and time of a system.

How is energy-time versus time bin DOF relevant in scientific research?

Energy-time versus time bin DOF is relevant in many different fields of research, such as quantum mechanics, astronomy, and particle physics. It is particularly important in studies that involve precise measurements of energy and time, as it affects the accuracy and limitations of these measurements.

What factors influence energy-time versus time bin DOF?

There are several factors that can influence energy-time versus time bin DOF, including the type of physical system being studied, the precision and sensitivity of the measuring instruments, and the level of noise or disturbances present in the system. These factors can impact the trade-off between energy and time measurements and may affect the overall accuracy of the results.

How can energy-time versus time bin DOF be optimized?

To optimize energy-time versus time bin DOF, researchers often use various techniques such as increasing the precision and sensitivity of their measuring instruments, minimizing noise and disturbances in the system, and using advanced data analysis methods. Additionally, understanding the specific limitations and trade-offs of the system can also help to optimize energy-time versus time bin DOF.

What are some applications of energy-time versus time bin DOF?

Energy-time versus time bin DOF has many practical applications, such as in the development of more accurate clocks, the improvement of data transmission in telecommunications, and the advancement of quantum computing. It is also used in various scientific experiments and studies to better understand the behavior of physical systems at the energy-time level.