Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Energy-time versus time bin DOF

1. Jul 16, 2017 #1
    With respect to entanglement, is the energy-time degree of freedom continuous whilst the time bin DOF is discrete or is there some other difference (if any) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "the energy-time degree of freedom" and "the time bin DOF"?

4. Jul 16, 2017 #3
    The means by which information can be encoded when using photons to hold qubits as part of hyperentanglement schemes.

5. Jul 16, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Sorry, this doesn't help. Do you have a reference? (Textbook or peer-reviewed paper.)

6. Jul 16, 2017 #5
    Discussion and Summary Section of the following refers to both terms.

JOURNAL ARTICLE
    Complete hyperentangled Bell state analysis for polarization and time-bin hyperentanglement
    Li X, Ghose S

Optics Express, vol. 24, issue 16 (2016) p. 18388

7. Jul 16, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

It looks like this is the preprint on arxiv:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1601.02032

I see the term "time-bin degree of freedom" used there (though I'll have to read through the article when I get a chance to understand what they mean by it), but I don't see the term "energy-time degree of freedom" anywhere in the article. So I still don't know what you mean by that term.

8. Jul 16, 2017 #7
    In the first part of the particular section I mentioned-

''....Hyperentanglement has attracted much attention in recent years due to its promising applica- tions. Besides the traditional DOFs of photons, the energy-time and orbital angular momentum DOFs also have been considered in constructing hyperentanglement [63, 64]...''

thanks for your feedback.

9. Jul 16, 2017 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Ok, this just references some other papers; the terminology isn't explained in this paper, as far as I can tell. My initial reaction is that this looks like an open area of research, so discussion of it here will probably be limited.

10. Jul 16, 2017 #9

Mentz114

Gold Member

This paper may help. Seems to be in a proper journal.

https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.153602

Coherent Ultrafast Measurement of Time-Bin Encoded Photons
    John M. Donohue,Megan Agnew, Jonathan Lavoie, and Kevin J. Resch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted