Unlocking the Potential: Harnessing Energy to Create Mass and Possibly Universes

• I
  • Thread starter member 342489
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Mass
The system's mass is not the sum of the masses of its individual components. It is more complicated that that. The system's mass is a combination of its energy and momentum. (with some loss i imagine)No. No loss. That understanding have made me think, could we, in theory, create enough energy to create a universe?No. The universe has a lot of energy in it. It would have to be a lot more than that. Well, we could not technically do that because of the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created (or destroyed). Whatever energy we use to “create “ matter, we must borrow from the universe. Correct. But, if we borrow the total
member 342489
As I understand E=m*c^2 you can create mass from energy

In my imagination that means, that if you create a high enough energy density, then you will create mass equvilant to that energy. (with some loss i imagine)

That understanding have made me think, could we, in theory, create enough energy to create a universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we could not technically do that because of the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created (or destroyed). Whatever energy we use to “create “ matter, we must borrow from the universe.

But, if we borrow the total amount of energy in the universe, it would indeed be exactly enough to form the universe.

Hope that answers your question.

Likes member 342489
LURCH said:
Well, we could not technically do that because of the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created (or destroyed). Whatever energy we use to “create “ matter, we must borrow from the universe.

But, if we borrow the total amount of energy in the universe, it would indeed be exactly enough to form the universe.

Hope that answers your question.

It does.I did realize, that it would be problematic to create our own universe from energy within this universe. I was only curiousity. Thnak you :-)

There are several threads in this forum already discussing the misconception of ##E = mc^2## that you somehow "create" mass from energy or vice versa.

Energy and mass are properties of a system and for an isolated system they are both conserved. The mass of the system is a particular combination of its energy and momentum and it would be appropriate to identify the mass with the energy in the rest frame of the system (up to the conversion factor ##c^2##). Neither mass or energy is any sort of substance. They are properties of a system and rather than saying that mass is "converted" into energy or vice versa, it would be more appropriate to consider mass a form of energy.

Likes David Lewis, Imager, dextercioby and 3 others
I'm not sure that your question is really answerable. Mass and energy are different things; simply having energy doesn't give you mass. There are a number of ways to explain that - possibly the easiest is to note that light has energy but no mass. ##E=mc^2## is a special case of a more general equation ##E^2=m^2c^4+p^2c^2##, where ##p## is momentum.

More fundamentally, we don't understand where this universe came from (or even if that question makes sense). So we have absolutely no idea how to go about creating another one.

Likes member 342489
Orodruin said:
There are several threads in this forum already discussing the misconception of ##E = mc^2## that you somehow "create" mass from energy or vice versa.

Energy and mass are properties of a system and for an isolated system they are both conserved. The mass of the system is a particular combination of its energy and momentum and it would be appropriate to identify the mass with the energy in the rest frame of the system (up to the conversion factor ##c^2##). Neither mass or energy is any sort of substance. They are properties of a system and rather than saying that mass is "converted" into energy or vice versa, it would be more appropriate to consider mass a form of energy.

I am sorry for creating an extra post with an already debated question, I should have performed a search first.

I do not doubt your answer, but cannot claim to fully understand either.

I have seen several articles claimeing, experiments transforming photons into electrons and positrons were underway. So that made me think about the creation of the universe, and how the particles formed to begin with.

Thank you for your time :-)

Arrgh sorry answers came while I wrote a reply...

Despite a lot of sloppy pop sci, describing light as energy is wrong. As Orodruin says, energy is a property of things, not a thing. It's like velocity - your car may have a certain velocity, but it is not velocity. Nor is anything "pure velocity" outside of Flash fan fiction.

Yes, we can turn things with a low mass and a lot of energy into things with high mass. That kind of thing is bread and butter for nuclear and particle physicists. As I say, we've no idea how the universe came to be, so whether or not this is relevant to that isn't known.

Likes member 342489
Brian E said:
As I understand E=m*c^2 you can create mass from energy

No. In a reaction a system changes. Part (or even all in some cases) of the system's mass can become rest energy. All that's changed is that what you used to call mass afterwards you now call rest energy. Mass and rest energy are equivalent, so which name you decide to use is based entirely on tradition; these names were created before this equivalence was known.

In my imagination that means, that if you create a high enough energy density, then you will create mass equvilant to that energy.

What makes you think density has anything to do with it? That energy is a property of something, what is the something?

Brian E said:
I have seen several articles claimeing, experiments transforming photons into electrons and positrons were underway.

There was a Nobel prize awarded for that in 1948. It's called pair production. The photon-nucleus system that existed before the reaction is transformed into a system consisting of the nucleus and a matter-antimatter pair. The total amount of mass before the reaction equals the total amount of mass after the reaction. The total amount of rest energy before the reaction equals the total amount of rest energy after the reaction. Before the reaction the photon's energy was one of the things that made a contribution to the system's mass, afterwards that same contribution is now made by the nucleus and the pair. The same can be said of the rest energy.

Likes member 342489

1. What is the concept behind "Unlocking the Potential: Harnessing Energy to Create Mass and Possibly Universes"?

The concept behind this topic is exploring the potential of energy to create mass, and how this process may potentially lead to the creation of universes. It involves understanding the relationship between energy and mass, and how energy can be harnessed and manipulated to create new forms of matter.

2. How does this topic relate to current scientific theories?

This topic aligns with current scientific theories such as the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be converted from one form to another. It also relates to the theory of the Big Bang, which suggests that the universe was created from a single point of infinite energy.

3. What are some potential real-world applications of harnessing energy to create mass?

Some potential applications include the creation of new materials and resources, such as synthetic fuels or building materials. It could also lead to advancements in space travel, as harnessing energy to create mass could potentially power spacecrafts or even create new habitable environments on other planets.

4. What are the challenges in unlocking the potential of energy to create mass?

One of the main challenges is understanding and controlling the complex process of converting energy into mass. This requires advanced technology and a deep understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. Another challenge is ensuring the ethical and responsible use of this power, as it could have significant consequences if misused.

5. What are some current research efforts in this field?

Currently, there is ongoing research in particle accelerators, where scientists are attempting to recreate the conditions of the early universe and study the creation of new particles from energy. There are also studies on renewable energy sources and their potential to create mass, as well as theoretical research on the potential for creating new universes through energy manipulation.