Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy to move an object along a conveyor belt

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    Hey phys community.
    need a little help, I am looking to calculate the energy needed to move an object from point A to point B on a conveyor belt. I need to know how to calculate this on a horizontal surface, incline, and decline. The abstract would be cool formulas would be cool. My math knowledge is only up through Calc. 2 so please nothing more than that, i don't think i will need even that though. Assume frictionless or with friction. I eventually need to know both.

Thanks Guys

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

When you drop mass onto the conveyor it will be accelerated to the speed of the conveyor.
    Kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity squared.
    The mass will then travel along the conveyor until it slips of at the end. The change in height will be a potential energy difference PE = mass * acceleration due to gravity * change in height.

If one conveyor drops mass onto another the original KE is not wasted when they are in line. But if they are at right angles it is lost and must be replaced by the following conveyor.

4. Nov 22, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and there is the friction losses in the conveyor itself. That's Power = frictional force * velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook