Estimating torque conveyor belt

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the torque needed to turn a conveyor belt. They have provided information on the weight and friction coefficients of the objects on the belt and the drum. However, the main concern is the flexing/stretching of the belt and resistance in the drum axles. The presence of a steel table under the belt may also affect the friction and force. The individual is looking for a way to equate all of these factors to determine the required torque.
maxtor101
Hi all, was wondering could anyone give me a hand with this calculation.

So basically I want to estimate the torque required to turn a conveyor belt. I have drawn a diagram of what it looks like. I know the weight of the objects on the belt and their respective friction coefficients. Also the friction coefficient for the drum against the belt.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
Static friction between the objects and the belt and between the belt and the drums is not the issue. These do not absorb any of the work done. With no other resistance, the torque needed to achieve movement would be vanishingly small.
The relevant questions are the flexing/stretching of the belt and resistance in the drum axles. E.g. as an object approaches the second drum it travels slightly uphill. This may be partly compensated by another object having just passed over the first drum, traveling slightly downhill.

Apologies, I forgot to include in the diagram that there is a steel table under the belt, on which the items sit. So there would be friction between the belt and this table, and it's resulting force will be proportional to the weight of the objects.
How would I equate all this to the torque required to turn the drum?

1. What is torque in the context of conveyor belts?

Torque refers to the amount of rotational force required to move a conveyor belt. It is usually measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm) and is dependent on factors such as belt tension, friction, and load weight.

2. How do you calculate the torque required for a conveyor belt?

The formula for calculating torque in a conveyor belt system is T = (F x D)/2π, where T is the torque, F is the belt tension, and D is the diameter of the pulley or roller. Additionally, the torque may need to be adjusted for factors such as friction and load weight.

3. What are the factors that affect the torque required for a conveyor belt?

The torque required for a conveyor belt is affected by several factors, including belt tension, roller diameter, friction between the belt and rollers, and the weight of the load being transported. Additionally, any incline or decline in the conveyor's path may also impact the torque calculation.

4. How can you measure the torque of a conveyor belt system?

The torque of a conveyor belt system can be measured using a torque wrench or torque sensor. This tool is placed on the pulley or roller and measures the rotational force required to move the belt. Additionally, there are also digital torque meters that can be used to measure torque in real-time.

5. How do you ensure the correct torque for a conveyor belt system?

The best way to ensure the correct torque for a conveyor belt system is to carefully calculate the torque using the appropriate formula and considering all relevant factors. It is also important to regularly monitor the torque of the system and make adjustments as needed to ensure smooth and efficient operation.