Energy Transfer: Instant Transmission?

In summary, the transmission of energy through a stick is not instantaneous, as it takes time for the impulse to travel through the stick at the speed of sound. Pushing it with a speed twice the speed of sound will result in compression and deformation, and pushing it faster than that may cause it to break. Being in space does not affect this process.
jamesb-uk
If you have a stick and push it from one end, the whole stick moves instantly. You have given the other end of the stick kinetic energy. So doesn't this mean that you have transmitted energy at an infinite rate, rather than at or below the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesb-uk said:
If you have a stick and push it from one end, the whole stick moves instantly.
No it doesn't. The impulse moves through the stick at about the speed of sound. So nothing is being transmitted anywhere near the speed of light, much less infinitely fast.

Doc Al:
What if you push it with a speed that's twice the speed of sound- wouldn't that mean that you could see a noticeable difference in the length of the stick, as the atoms were compressed together, if you filmed it?

jamesb-uk said:
Doc Al:
What if you push it with a speed that's twice the speed of sound- wouldn't that mean that you could see a noticeable difference in the length of the stick, as the atoms were compressed together, if you filmed it?
I'm talking about how long it takes for a smack given to one end of a stick to travel to the other end. If you push one end of the stick, it takes time for all parts of the stick to get moving. It's not instantaneous. So, yes, the stick will be compressed a bit when you push on one end. (Push too hard and you'll just break it, though. :frown:)

What if it's in space and there's no friction- would it be transmitted faster?

jamesb-uk said:
What if it's in space and there's no friction- would it be transmitted faster?
Not sure I understand what you're getting at with this question. I see no reason why being in space would have anything to do with it.

I'm not talking about vibrations.
Ok, how about if I put it like this:
There is a long tube full of marbles which are all touching each other. I put another marble in at one end and another comes out of the other end. I have transferred kinetic energy through the marbles. How quickly was it transferred, or how long did it take between the original marble at the entry end starting to move, and the exiting marble starting to move.

Actually, forget it- I've realized my error.

No one answered this part:
jamesb-uk said:
Material mechanics gets a little complicated and I'm not exactly sure how a stick works, but a steel rod has a certain range over which the deformation is perfectly elastic and perfectly reversible. If you try to move it faster than its speed of sound (with as much acceleration as it is willing to absorb), you'll start to move into the range of plastic deformation, whereby the impulse will travel through it faster than its speed of sound but only at the cost of permanent deformation. Much faster than that and the forces trying to accelerate it will exceed the material's strength and it will start to disintegrate.

A stick likely has a much lower and smaller range of elastic deformation and essentially no range of plastic deformation: exceed its speed of sound by more than a little and it'll just shatter.

Related to Energy Transfer: Instant Transmission?

1. What is energy transfer?

Energy transfer is the process of moving energy from one place to another. This can happen in various forms, such as heat, light, or mechanical energy.

2. How does instant transmission work?

Instant transmission is a theoretical concept where energy can be transferred instantaneously between two points without any delay. It is currently not possible to achieve this type of energy transfer, but researchers are exploring ways to make it a reality.

3. What are the potential applications of instant transmission?

If instant transmission were possible, it could have numerous applications in fields such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and space travel. It could also potentially revolutionize the way we transfer and store energy.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to achieving instant transmission?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations to achieving instant transmission. Some of these include finding a medium that can transmit energy without any loss, finding a way to control and direct the energy, and developing technology that can handle such high levels of energy transfer.

5. How does energy transfer impact our daily lives?

Energy transfer is a crucial aspect of our daily lives. It is what allows us to power our homes, fuel our cars, and use electronic devices. Without energy transfer, our modern way of life would not be possible.