1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Transfer Question

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    The average thermal conductivity of the walls (including windows) and roof of a house in Figure P11.32 is 4.8 10-4 kW/m°C, and their average thickness is 20.0 cm. The house is heated with natural gas, with a heat of combustion (energy given off per cubic meter of gas burned) of 9300 kcal/m3. How many cubic meters of gas must be burned each day to maintain an inside temperature of 28.0°C if the outside temperature is 0.0°C? Disregard radiation and loss by heat through the ground.

The house's dimensions are 10.0m x 8.0m x 5.0m

I tried this problem, and I keep getting the answer completely wrong... if anyone could show me how to do this one, that would be awesome.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried so far? We can only help you if you tell us what you've done up to this point.
  4. Nov 15, 2005 #3
    I did P=(4.8E-4)(.2)(28)

P= 2.688W

Q= 232243.2 J of heat

but i don't think that I am even starting it right.
  5. Nov 15, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why did you multiply the thermal conductivity by length when computing the emitted power? How do you use the thermal conductivity to calculate the heat flux through a surface of area A and thickness L with a temperature difference [tex] \Delta T [/tex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?