How Much Natural Gas Is Needed to Heat a House to 28°C?

In summary, the conversation discusses the average thermal conductivity and thickness of the walls and roof of a house, as well as the use of natural gas for heating. The goal is to determine the amount of gas needed to maintain a specific indoor temperature while disregarding radiation and heat loss through the ground. The house's dimensions are also mentioned. The problem involves calculating the emitted power and heat flux through the surfaces.
blue88
The average thermal conductivity of the walls (including windows) and roof of a house in Figure P11.32 is 4.8 10-4 kW/m°C, and their average thickness is 20.0 cm. The house is heated with natural gas, with a heat of combustion (energy given off per cubic meter of gas burned) of 9300 kcal/m3. How many cubic meters of gas must be burned each day to maintain an inside temperature of 28.0°C if the outside temperature is 0.0°C? Disregard radiation and loss by heat through the ground.

The house's dimensions are 10.0m x 8.0m x 5.0m

I tried this problem, and I keep getting the answer completely wrong... if anyone could show me how to do this one, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? We can only help you if you tell us what you've done up to this point.

I did P=(4.8E-4)(.2)(28)

P= 2.688W

Q=Pnet(t)
Q=(2.688)(86400)
Q= 232243.2 J of heat

but i don't think that I am even starting it right.

Why did you multiply the thermal conductivity by length when computing the emitted power? How do you use the thermal conductivity to calculate the heat flux through a surface of area A and thickness L with a temperature difference [tex] \Delta T [/tex]?

1. What is energy transfer?

Energy transfer refers to the movement of energy from one place or form to another. This can occur through various means such as heat, light, electricity, or movement.

2. How does energy transfer occur?

Energy transfer can occur through different mechanisms such as conduction, convection, and radiation. In conduction, energy is transferred through direct contact between materials. In convection, energy is transferred through the movement of fluids. In radiation, energy is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the importance of energy transfer?

Energy transfer is essential for life and the functioning of our daily activities. It allows for the exchange and transformation of energy, which is necessary for powering various processes such as metabolism, transportation, and electricity generation.

4. What are the different types of energy transfer?

There are three main types of energy transfer: thermal, mechanical, and electromagnetic. Thermal energy transfer involves the movement of heat from a warmer object to a cooler one. Mechanical energy transfer involves the movement of objects through forces such as pushing or pulling. Electromagnetic energy transfer involves the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves.

5. How can energy transfer be harnessed for practical use?

Energy transfer can be harnessed through various technologies and processes for practical use. For example, thermal energy can be harnessed for heating and cooling systems, mechanical energy can be harnessed for transportation and electricity generation, and electromagnetic energy can be harnessed for communication and lighting.