Energy uncertainty of an atom in an excited state

In summary, the problem involves finding the energy uncertainty of an excited state of a Na atom that emits a photon with 2.105 eV of energy while in an excited state for a mean time of 1.6 \times 10^{-8}s. The uncertainty principle can be used to solve this problem, but the exact method is unclear. It is suggested to use the equation \Delta E > \frac{\hbar}{2} \frac{1}{\Delta t} = 32.96 \times 10^{-28}J, but further clarification is needed.
Ezequiel

Homework Statement

A Na atom is in an excited state for a mean time of [itex]1.6 \times 10^{-8}s[/itex]. Then it jumps to the ground state emitting a photon with 2.105 eV of energy. Find the energy uncertainty of that excited state.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I just don't know how to use that to solve the problem. Could you be more specific?

Could it be [itex]\Delta E > \frac{\hbar}{2} \frac{1}{\Delta t} = 32.96 \times 10^{-28}J [/itex]?

Ezequiel said:
Could it be [itex]\Delta E > \frac{\hbar}{2} \frac{1}{\Delta t} = 32.96 \times 10^{-28}J [/itex]?

Doesn't seem to be correct. What you did basically? And the question mentions Na atom , so we cannot use bohr equations. Also I don't know why they gave you energy of de-excitation. There is no use of it , I guess... I think you used the correct equation but did not solve it correctly.

Last edited:

Related to Energy uncertainty of an atom in an excited state

1. What is the energy uncertainty principle?

The energy uncertainty principle, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This principle applies to all particles, including atoms in excited states.

2. How does the energy uncertainty principle apply to an atom in an excited state?

When an atom is in an excited state, it means that its electrons have absorbed energy and moved to higher energy levels. According to the energy uncertainty principle, the more precisely we know the energy of the excited electron, the less accurately we can determine its position.

3. What is the relationship between energy uncertainty and excited states in atoms?

The energy uncertainty principle tells us that the more energy an electron in an atom has, the more uncertain its position will be. This means that as an atom becomes more excited, the energy uncertainty of its electrons increases.

4. How does the energy uncertainty of an atom in an excited state affect its behavior?

The energy uncertainty of an atom in an excited state can affect its behavior in several ways. For example, it can make the excited electron more likely to jump to a lower energy level, releasing energy in the form of light. It can also make the atom more unstable, causing it to quickly return to its ground state.

5. Can we ever know the exact energy of an electron in an excited state?

No, according to the energy uncertainty principle, we can never know the exact energy of an electron in an excited state. We can only determine a range of possible energies with a certain degree of uncertainty. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and applies to all particles, including atoms in excited states.