1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engine - Drive Shaft Coupling Torque

1. Dec 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solid drive shaft is connected to an engine by a coupling, which has drive pins located on a pitch circle diameter of 80 mm (Note: the diameter of the pitch circle is greater than the diameter of the drive shaft). If the maximum power output of the engine is 90kW at 5000 rev/min, the shear stress in drive pins is not to exceed 60 MN/m2, and the shear stress in drive shaft is not to exceed 70 MN/m2, determine:

(i) The minimum acceptable diameter of the shaft
    (ii) If the minimum number of solid drive pins that are required is 5 determine the diameter of each pin

2. Relevant equations

T/J=[itex]\tau[/itex]/r

P=Tω

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked out the torque of the engine to be 47.12 MNm by using P=Tω but can I just put this value into T/J=[itex]\tau[/itex]/r to find the answer to (i)?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2011 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

123321: Your value for torque, T, currently looks incorrect. Try again, paying attention to units and correct unit conversions. After you obtain T, yes, you can use T in your first relevant equation.

By the way, MN/m^2 is called MPa. Always use the correct, special name for a unit. E.g., 60 MPa, not 60 MN/m^2.

4. Dec 26, 2011 #3
    Thanks for answering this question too nvn, I think I'm going to skip the I beam question. I've got no clue. Haha!

To convert rpm to rad/sec you times by 2[itex]\Pi[/itex]/60 right? Which give me 523.6 rad/sec. Then multiplying this by the power to give me T, which gives me the same answer.

5. Dec 26, 2011 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

123321: Should you not divide this into power? Check your algebra, and try again.

6. Dec 26, 2011 #5
    Haha! That was embarassing...

7. Dec 27, 2011 #6
    I worked out the torque of the engine to be 171.89 and then I was going to put it into T/J=τ/r the problem is that J = 2I = Πd^4/32 so do I use 40 mm as the radius or am I supposed to have two unknowns?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook