1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineer, Energy: Entry-Level Employment Abroad

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    I am a US citizen and I love to travel. I am also a second year graduate student, earning my MS in Mechanical Engineering - concentrating in 'fluid mechanics, thermal sciences and energy'. I will be graduating in May 2008 and have some questions regarding subsequent aspirations of mine.

My objective is to move abroad and utilize my knowledge of energy systems, within a thermal-fluid context, in a spanish-speaking country (Spain is an obvious frontrunner). Renewable energy technologies are of particular interest to me, and
    Spain's windpower generation has increased by roughly 30percent annually for the last 8 or so years- I view this as an ideal opportunity to make my debut. I see two routes of achieving my goal of attaining employment as an engineer abroad: locate a company based overseas and obtain a working visa, for what will probably be a short duration; or become employed by a US-based engineering firm or company with an engineering subdivision (e.g GE, Boeing) and satellite branches overseas. I realize that in the latter option interest of job may be sacrificed; I feel that I can afford this loss.

I am not opposed to Central or South American countries, either, but my research of energy engineering jobs there has been disconcerting, yielding little. And should I find nothing in Spain I'd still prefer to work in Europe as opposed to the US (I enjoy Italy and Switzerland immensely).

I would very much appreciate advice with regard to what route might be taken to obtain engineering employment in a spanish-speaking country (or another in Europe). If I choose to work for an American company would they even consider immediate placement overseas? If so, would you suggest a few for me to look into? Do you think I am under illusions, or can I really make this happen?

I am simply seeking some direction amongst these vast desires of mine. To those willing to offer feedback: I thank you.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted