Thinking of switching from mining to civil engineering - any advice?

In summary, it sounds like you want to change career paths, and your current job is not what you are looking for. It may be worth it to you to go back to school and get a civil engineer masters degree, but you may be able to get the same type of work without it. You may also want to look for jobs online, see what qualifications and experience they ask for, and apply for a few to test the market.
Suspenc33
Hi all, I used to post a bunch of questions on these forums back when I was doing my undergrad and am back for some career advice!

I live in Canada and graduated with a mining engineering degree 4 years ago. Since graduating I've realized I'd like my career to shift more into the civil/ geotechnical world. The two are intertwined in many ways, and I took multiple civil courses in school such as soil mechanics 1/2, slope stability, rock mechanics etc...

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about making the switch? I currently work in a large mine in northern Canada and I don't think its feasibly to transfer within my company. I've conaidered returning to school and trying to get into a civil masters program to help make the switch a bit easier.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sure that you could get into a civil engineer masters program, but the opportunity cost of a couple of years of lost wages is quite high. Is it worth it to you?

What exactly would you want to be able to do afterwards? Do you know of any companies that already do that work? If so, maybe a better choice would be to switch to such a company with your current education and work yourself to the type of project you are interested in.

If you want to change job paths, and your current company does not provide the flavor you crave, you probably have to move. I'm guessing that when you are working in "a large mine in northern Canada" that there is not much other than the mining company in the same town. So your options may be pretty limited if you stay in that town.

Polish up your resume and send it to a few possible new employers. Google up companies that might be your new employer.

Maybe instead of adding a master's degree, maybe all you need is to tack on a couple new skills. That might be available in a couple night classes or online training or some such.

Look for jobs online that sound interesting. See what qualifications and experience they ask for. Don't be too worried if you don't have everything they ask for. Perhaps even apply for one or two to test the market. You're under no obligation to accept any job offers!

As a fellow scientist, I understand the desire to explore different fields within our field of expertise. My advice would be to first thoroughly research the civil engineering industry and understand the specific roles and responsibilities that you would be taking on. This will help you determine if it aligns with your career goals and interests.

If you decide to pursue a civil engineering career, I would suggest starting with networking and reaching out to professionals in the field. This can help you gain insight into the industry and potentially lead to job opportunities. Additionally, considering your background in mining engineering, you may have transferable skills that could be valuable in the civil engineering world.

Returning to school for a master's program is also a great option, as it can provide you with the necessary academic background and practical experience to transition into a civil engineering role. Just be sure to thoroughly research and choose a program that aligns with your career goals and offers the necessary courses and opportunities to gain experience in the civil engineering field.

Overall, it's important to have a clear understanding of your career goals and to take the necessary steps to achieve them. I wish you the best of luck in your potential transition to civil engineering.

1. How difficult is it to change careers and become an engineer?

Changing careers to become an engineer can be challenging, as it requires a significant amount of time, effort, and dedication to learn the necessary skills and knowledge. However, with determination and a strong work ethic, it is definitely achievable.

2. Do I need a specific degree to become an engineer?

While having a degree in engineering can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many engineers have degrees in related fields such as mathematics, physics, or computer science. Additionally, there are numerous technical and vocational programs that can provide the necessary training and skills to become an engineer.

3. What skills are essential for a successful engineering career?

Some of the essential skills for a successful engineering career include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, strong mathematical and analytical skills, and effective communication. It is also important to be knowledgeable in relevant software and technologies.

4. Is it possible to transition into an engineering career later in life?

Yes, it is possible to transition into an engineering career at any age. Many people make career changes later in life, and with the right attitude and determination, it can be a successful transition. It may require additional education and training, but it is definitely achievable.

5. What are the job prospects and salary potential for engineers?

The job prospects for engineers are generally positive, with many industries and companies in need of skilled engineers. The salary potential varies depending on the specific engineering field, level of education and experience, and location. Generally, engineers are well-compensated for their work.