Engineering Internship: Advice for Physics Students | Magna Steyr Opportunity

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of pursuing an engineering internship for someone studying physics with the goal of getting a Phd and working as a scientist. The conversation concludes that even though the individual may not have enough technical grounding to be immediately useful, the internship would still be beneficial for real-world experience and potential future employment opportunities. The importance of having a plan B and having a positive attitude is also emphasized.
BOAS
Hello,

at the risk of sounding like a spoiled child, I wanted to ask your advice on a matter regarding an engineering internship.

I have the opportunity to spend a summer interning at Magna Steyr (a vehicle engineering company), but I'm studying physics.

To put it simply, my goal is to get a Phd (a long way down the line for me) in a field of physics and work as a scientist. But, this might not work out. I have seen it written a few times here that 'physicists' can't just walk into an engineering position, so my question is, does an engineering internship have a tangible benefit for me if I were to end up pursuing a career in engineering of some sort.

I can't see how it would hurt, but I'm not 100% keen, so i'd only want to do it if it could possibly make a difference.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
GE Measurement and Control is located not far south of where I live. I went to a career fair last semester and spoke with the HR manager. She said, in most cases, students who've done an internship with them are considered first for entry level positions. If you intern for a summer and do well, they'll send a "return offer letter" and you can circumvent the application and interview process for your next internship or entry level position.

It would be very beneficial for you to have some experience/internship to put on your resume in case getting a PhD doesn't work out, for whatever reason. Having a plan B not only can't hurt, it puts you ahead.

Likes 1 person
BOAS said:
I can't see how it would hurt, but I'm not 100% keen, so i'd only want to do it if it could possibly make a difference.

Thank you

If your reluctancy to work there is greater than your motivation of getting paid for a summer, don't do it. But if I were you, it's great experience that won't hurt.

Wellesley said:
If your reluctancy to work there is greater than your motivation of getting paid for a summer, don't do it. But if I were you, it's great experience that won't hurt.

My greatest reluctance is that I don't feel I have enough of a technical grounding to really be of any use!

I don't know what an intern does on a day to day basis, but it would seem like a waste of time unless I was actively learning how to do something.

Typically I have to put more into an intern than I get out of an intern (not always, but typically).

The intern wins because he or she sees what real-world engineering is like and will usually learn some practical skills and see how theoretical knowledge is applied at work.

The organization wins because they develop a stream of potential employees (like a long-term interview), sometimes get fresh ideas or perspectives on their work), benefit from energetic, exciting interns, and stay more connected to the current education trends.

So to answer your question, BOAS, you most like do not have enough of a technical grounding to be of use to the organization. You should still do the internship though.

Likes 1 person
analogdesign said:
Typically I have to put more into an intern than I get out of an intern (not always, but typically).

The intern wins because he or she sees what real-world engineering is like and will usually learn some practical skills and see how theoretical knowledge is applied at work.

The organization wins because they develop a stream of potential employees (like a long-term interview), sometimes get fresh ideas or perspectives on their work), benefit from energetic, exciting interns, and stay more connected to the current education trends.

So to answer your question, BOAS, you most like do not have enough of a technical grounding to be of use to the organization. You should still do the internship though.

Well said!

analogdesign said:

I think you're right and your argument makes a lot of sense.

The internship was offered to me afterall, it's not like I was forced upon them.

BOAS said:
My greatest reluctance is that I don't feel I have enough of a technical grounding to really be of any use!

I don't know what an intern does on a day to day basis, but it would seem like a waste of time unless I was actively learning how to do something.

Companies don't expect a lot if even you've graduated college (as I'm finding out). From my experience, if you work your butt off and are eager to learn - employers are more than willing to help the younger generation (us). So don't worry about not knowing enough, you'll be fine as long as you bring the right attitude.

analogdesign couldn't have put it better. Thank you sir!

1. What is an engineering internship?

An engineering internship is a temporary work experience in which a student or recent graduate gains hands-on, practical experience in the field of engineering. It allows individuals to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a real-world setting and gain valuable industry experience.

2. How do I find an engineering internship?

There are several ways to find an engineering internship. You can start by checking with your university's career center, networking with professionals in the field, attending job fairs, and searching online job portals. It is also helpful to reach out to companies directly and inquire about internship opportunities.

3. What are the benefits of doing an engineering internship?

An engineering internship offers numerous benefits, including gaining practical experience, developing technical skills, building a professional network, and enhancing your resume. It also provides an opportunity to explore different areas of engineering and determine which field you are most interested in pursuing.

4. What should I expect during an engineering internship?

During an engineering internship, you can expect to work on real projects and tasks under the guidance of experienced engineers. You will also have the opportunity to attend meetings, participate in training and development programs, and gain exposure to the company's culture and work environment.

5. Can I get a job after completing an engineering internship?

While there is no guarantee of a job offer after completing an engineering internship, many companies use internships as a way to identify potential full-time employees. Therefore, it is essential to make a good impression and perform well during your internship. Even if you do not receive a job offer, the experience and skills gained during your internship can make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities.