Engineering Physicist: What You Need to Know

In summary, an engineering physicist is someone who has a background in physics and is skilled in engineering. They may work for companies in the engineering field or in areas related to nanotechnology.
e^kt
Hi. :blushing:

I'll be starting college this fall. I know I want to do something in physics, engineering or math -- things of that nature.

I looked at the course requirements for an engineering physicist, and I was wondering what sort of things they do, and where they can get jobs.

Employers of recent graduates:
Air Force Research Laboratory
Boeing
Gulfstream
Raytheon
Texas Instruments
TestChip Technologies
Micron Technologies
Hewlett-Packard
Lockheed-Martin
Motorola
NASA Goddard
Rocketdyne
Triquin
^ Is all that the site said about employment.

Aside from seeing that I can can potentially work for these companies, I have no clue what I'd do for a living.

Does anybody have information about engineering physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you work for many of those companies, you won't be able to talk about what you do, either it wil be corporate limited or classified.

I was looking into double majoring in EE and Eng. Phy. Both are very close in degree requirements (until the last year). If you are interested take a look at a school which offers E.P. and see what courses they offer. That should give you an idea of the course work. As far as work realize that E.P. does not receive ABET accreditation. I don't really knows how much that matters but it is something to keep in mind.

I know what classes I have to take and all, but what sort of jobs do EPs do?

It is my understanding that EP's are very well versed in most of the underlying principles of most of the engineering disciplines. Specifically, electrical and mechanical engineering. I assume you could get work in areas that would typically employ the aforementioned. Also, an EP would be very well suited for the emerging field of Nanotechnology due to the Physics background. If you want to find what positions are out there email someone in that department that is the best way to get some concrete answers.

Related to Engineering Physicist: What You Need to Know

1. What is an engineering physicist?

An engineering physicist is a scientist who applies principles of physics to design, analyze, and improve engineering systems and technologies. They use their understanding of fundamental physics concepts to solve complex problems and develop new technologies.

2. What kind of education is required to become an engineering physicist?

To become an engineering physicist, one typically needs to have a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. Some positions may also require a graduate degree, such as a master's or PhD, in engineering physics or a specialized area of physics.

3. What skills are important for an engineering physicist?

Engineering physicists need a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and engineering principles. They should also have good problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work with complex data and use computer software for analysis and modeling.

4. What industries do engineering physicists typically work in?

Engineering physicists can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, energy, and telecommunications. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or academia.

5. What are some examples of projects an engineering physicist might work on?

An engineering physicist might work on developing new materials for use in electronics, designing and optimizing solar energy systems, or creating simulations to test the performance of a new aircraft design. They might also work on improving medical imaging technologies or developing new methods for data storage and processing.